Skip to content
Does GAS ever get i...

Notifications
Clear all

Does GAS ever get in the way of your playing?

33 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@grego)
Eminent Member

Man if I had gas so bad I couldnt play my geetar Id be takin me some Beano

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter  

^ As in a beano pedal? :wink:

I guess that for those of you who never have GAS the reason is that you are satisfied with your tone (or aren't bored with it yet). I know I'm not satisfied with mine. I don't hate it by any means but it could be much better.

Hell even reading these forums as often as I do (don't post much though) is a product of GAS. I like reading about what people think of the EVJ, the squier 51 and all sorts of equipment. Or maybe I'm just curious. I do plan on buying an EVJ though, hopefully sometime this summer :lol:

Anyways I'm happy to know that I'm not completely alone in this. And those of you that say that you don't waste time dreaming about guitars... well.... you're making me feel bad -_-
I still do play at least an hour each day!

Vanzant: It IS better than watching TV!

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Man if I had gas so bad I couldnt play my geetar Id be takin me some Beano
I'm incredibly suspicious of any bean-based product that claims to reduce gas... Haven't they ever watched Blazing Saddles?

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter  

I'll gladly take this beano:

:D :D :D

edit: sorry for the huge image!!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Something I found to be truly usefull in the fight against GAS is getting *small* things. A few bucks gets you a blues harp. Or some minor percussion thingies. Or a book on orchestratrion, whatever. None of it costs much but it'll keep you occupied for quite a while. Besides that you'll also learn stuff that you'd otherwise might not and allow you opportunities you'd otherwise not have had. Make the most out of your Dollar, Pound, Yen or whatever. :D

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Man I'm right with King Patzer on this one. I don't understand people who say "I have 10 guitars that all cost me 40 bucks"

WHY?!

I did GAS a few years ago though, when I really wanted a Gibson Les Paul Classic with a AAA top...that was my dream guitar, and I got it, and I havn't gassed since, aside from every once in a while thinking about getting a PRS someday...

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter  

I got my EQ pedal a week ago and I love it. The boost on this thing is amazing! No need to say I'm not GASing for anything right now hehe. It was cheap and it'll keep me occupied for a while :D

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have GAS everyday. :D

For years I could not spend money on gear, in the last 10 years I have more money available for this. So, I'm making up for lost time.

I like to look for hidden jewels. Everybody knows a LP Classic is a great guitar, but I can't spend 2 or 3 grand like that. So I am always reading reviews for gear that is inexpensive, but sounds great. The Squier 51 is a good example, great guitar for only $100. And the EVJ amp is also a real jewel. So I buy a lot, but it is not top of the line purchases. But I have gotten a great sounding rig like this.

There are still a few things I would like. I've always wanted an SG, my brother owned one when I was a kid, great guitar. So I'm looking at getting one of the Faded SGs. I also like the looks of that Melody Maker in another post. I like the shorter scale of the Gibson's as I do not have large hands. I also like humbuckers over single coils.

There's a mixing board I want, another power amp, the Sonic Maximizer, it just goes on and on.....

Hey, I have no life other than guitar. What else can I spend money on?? :roll:

And no, it does not interfere with my playing. The better sounding gear you have, the better you play. It's all about getting those pro tones you hear on the radio.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter  

I agree that the better sounding gear you have the more and the better you will play. My problem is that I don't so much buy the stuff I want than read about it, etc. I could be playing guitar instead of reading reviews and that happens a lot. Once I get all the stuff I think is necessary I'm sure I'll play much more. Right now I need a reverb pedal, an overdrive, and my new pickups which should get here sometime next month. And then when my playing is much better I'll get a fuzz and a wah. I think that should do it! :D

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Right now I need a reverb pedal, an overdrive, and my new pickups which should get here sometime next month. A:D

Not according to Bo .

I think you're confused as to what that word I put in bold means . . .

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

Not according to Bo .

I thought my first guitar was bad! :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Man I'm right with King Patzer on this one. I don't understand people who say "I have 10 guitars that all cost me 40 bucks"

WHY?!

I did GAS a few years ago though, when I really wanted a Gibson Les Paul Classic with a AAA top...that was my dream guitar, and I got it, and I havn't gassed since, aside from every once in a while thinking about getting a PRS someday...

Well, I'd like a Les Paul Classic myself, but fact of the matter is it scares me to death to play my Les Paul Studio. I might dent or scratch it. I use my hords of less expensive instruments without worry, including my Gibson Les Paul Special HB that I got on sale for $550 including a leather strap. I might add that despite their low price many are true jems, and they don't cost $40. I got a $600 Kramer that I got with a discount coupon from Music Yo for $299 and it has a set mahogony neck on a one piece mahogony body with flamed maple cap, Seymour Duncan pickups and Gotoh magnium lock tuners. I got a $600 Jackson Professional for $399. There are cheap guitars and there are deals. How about a $399 B.C.Rich for $178 on clearance? I'm happy and that's all that matters.

Don't take my word ... here ... http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Kramer/Standard+Pro/10/1

Mine was no blem either ... it is perfect!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Kinda going off the subject, but inexpensive does not mean that a guitar does not have great tone. There are many famous exceptions. The Les Paul Junior was a cheap Les Paul but players discovered it had great tone. Danelectro guitars are made of masonite and plywood, didn't stop Jimmy Page from playing one live.

If a guitar plays well, stays in tune, and has great tone I don't care what it is made of or how much it costs. I don't care if it has fancy binding and inlays. I would be afraid to play a super expensive guitar because even minor blemishes decrease the value.

People go by looks too much. It is like the tone knobs on amps. Because they go to 10 (or even 12) people think they have to turn them to high figures. It is now how something looks that matters in music, it is how it sounds.

I love my little EVJ amp. I have it at home with my Marshall amp which I also love. But I play the EVJ everyday, sounds better. :wink:

There is great inexpensive gear out there if you do your research.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter  

Amen Wes, Amen. There is some very inexpensive gear out there that nonetheless sounds great, we just have to find it.
I think you're confused as to what that word I put in bold means . . .

I wonder how long bo Diddley waited before getting another guitar :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

People go by looks too much. It is like the tone knobs on amps. Because they go to 10 (or even 12) people think they have to turn them to high figures.
People who haven't watched (or didn't get) 'that' bit of Spinal Tap :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3