does this happen to you?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hello everyone
this might be weird or maybe not, that why im asking. on some days that i play i feel like i get this great sound out of my amp, like its nice and thick and smooth. other days i feel like it sounds like a peice of crap, it sounds less smoothing, sharp, and makes me wanna put my wolfgang down. i would could the same song two different nite exactly the same but somthing would feel off with the amp.
im sry if it sounds messed up. im wondering is it the amp itself, or is it me? the times it sounds awsome i could play for hours, but when it doesnt i could play 20 mins , no joke
so just wondering if your amp sound different in your ears different days.

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I've been discussing this with a friend and it's at least an idea: air pressure. You know how the weatherman will say a high pressure front will be moving into the area? And you know how, when you change altitudes (like in an elevator) you have to 'click' your ears?

Well, I'm beginning to think that, even when the pressure isn't enough to feel uncomfortable, it might be enough to just very slightly push or pull on your eardrums, thereby making the 'frequency response' of the eardrum change day to day.

Just a thought.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It is also theoretically possible, that the air pressure is changing the resistance presented to the cone of the speaker (both directly at the cone and in the area in front of it), which would alter the tone.

I have no idea whether changes in air pressure, on a day-to-day basis, are great enough to have such an effect - I'm just just theorising, but it would be interesting to know.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Another idea could be slight voltage decreases from day to day or at certain times of the day. In some cities, the power people (I've heard) bring the power down a tiny bit at given times in order to increase savings - even a little multiplied by millions of users in a city can add up to a lot. I would think this would slightly affect how the tubes react - very slightly, but 'maybe' enough to make an audible difference.

And getting back to the weather: maybe even moisture in the air at a given time could make a difference; things sound one way on a drier day and another way on a humid day. And like you said greybeard about air pressure on the cone - maybe the speaker-cone, being of a material that can absorb moisture, will also be affected by moisture buildup - though slight.

Before I started using an electronic tuner to tune my guitar, I remember that most days I could just tune it right up. But on other days, it was like I couldn't hear well enough to even recognize whether the harmonics were 'beating' or not. And yet it was just a day later, the same guitar, same strings, same ears. Maybe it was a mental thing, you know, how sometimes you wake up and feel really 'sharp' and other days things are a little dull in the head? Like the perception factor is still slightly asleep?

I always wondered about it (and this was an acoustic guitar at the time) and never got a real good reason why things would be so different from one day to the next. And then it would 'back' the next time and things would be normal.

It just got me thinking and wondering - like peaveywofgang5150 :)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I always attributed it to my playing!!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

hmmm... this is very interesting... :) I never really noticed that, but then again my ears are raw and helpless :cry:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote