Clear all

the top

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i have been playing a little less then 5 years, and i feel like i have hit a peak or whatever you call it. i love to play of course and i am pretty much like to think i have good taste in music, i like pink floyd, ozzy, guns, metallica, staind. goo goo dolls............what was that other band called.........o yea van halen. but i feel like i have not gotten any better in the past few months. i can pretty much play like most poeple, but i feel like im not getting anywhere. im pretty much asking you guys for directions. should i steer away from metal/rock?.......i have tried many times to get people to play but im either way beyond skill or there not serious about playing.

if anybody has ideas that would be great, thank you

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You know what sometimes stirs the imagination and starts you on your own sort of path?

Recording.

That way you don't have to rely (or feel you have to) on other people.

A drum machine and maybe one of those 8 track digital recorders. It's different when you're learning other people's stuff (because you're more or less walking their path), but when you start trying to come up with your own things, even simple riffs and chord changes - and then try to 'fill in the blanks' - you most times can really surprise yourself!

You know, it's like when you learn a song from one of your favorite artists, that's it - you're done; it doesn't go any further than that because you've accomplished the task. But when you're writing something original, the next day you can come back and get a new idea maybe and the thing develops and gets more interesting.

It's something to consider anyhow :)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

DemoEtc had great advice.

Don't be afraid to try new types of music as well. If you were to sit down with some good jazz players you would feel like you couldn't play at all. I'm not saying you aren't very skilled, you sound like you are, but there is so much more to learn. This will put the spark back in your playing. Also, the different influence will really fuel your imagination.

And it doesn't matter what type of music you try. They are all very skilled.
You might think Country music is lame, but if you ever sit down with a good Country picker they will blow your mind. Those guys can PLAY.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Also, with those other people, GIVE THEM A CHANCE. You may be beyond their skill, but the idea of working together in any sort of band situation is that you support each other, and help bring them bring their skill level up!

(You can be the best guitarist and songwriter in the world - won't mean a thing if your drummer and bass section bites!)

So what you can do is practice up to your level on your own time, and then play at a level slightly above the guys you're playing with. Don't pull out complicated, fancy stuff - start with simple, easier stuff that they can play with to feel them out, and see where they need help, and then slowly bring them to a level where they're skilled enough that you can break out the good stuff without them running away in fear.

My cousin has a small band of his friends together - he's an amazing guitarist, and his drummer is equally good, but as for the rest of them, he taught his rhythm player from scratch to a decent performing level, and he also taught his bassist to use more complex rhythms.

With some people, you can get in and hit the ground running. Others take a while to nuture and bring out the talent you know is there. Aside from recording your own riffs + progressions and playing with people who use completely different styles, I think this would be one of the things that help you out the most.

One thing that could also help your playing? Start giving guitar lessons. It'll force you to understand your instrument and theory to a greater degree than you would as a player. You might have a few good students that'll make it worthwhile, and I doubt money is a poor motivation for anyone these days!

Good luck!
-Rodya

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

Rodya very nice post.

I'm learning that many times I have to give in order to keep what I have, at least it seems that way with the things I consider most important.

Not trying to get too philisophical(SP?) your post just made me think.

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Thanks, man. It's nice to know that people take the time to read posts, and I echo the sentiments of some of the other threads when I say this is definitely the friendliest and most helpful board I've had the pleasure of posting on.

Rock on. :D

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

The one thing that ALWAYS makes me want to go home and lock myself in my room and play for ever until I am the best is simply hearing some one better than myself. When I am practicing, i will learn something and not be humble at all. I will learn some sweep picking etude and think I'm awsome becuase I did it, which is fine becuase it was hard for me. But then I start to get real cocky, which hinders my motivation to learn. So find someone that is LIGHTYEARS ahead of you and listen to them play. My friends dad is a jazz guitarist who went to berklee, and whenever I jam with my friend he comes in and plays, and his very presence is inspiring. Not only does he make me sound better, but he is a prime example of what can be achieved through hard work. So get out there and talk and play with some guitarists who are way better than you, and I gurantee you will begin to see how much there is to learn, and it will also make you want to learn it.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@ssstrat11s)
Eminent Member

I agree with Kyle, playing with people above your skill level is the best way to challenge yourself, and get some handy tips. I also play with my friend(xg5a on this board) all the time, and his dad is an amazing bass player. I go there often, and I'm now learning bass, and just playing rhythm guitar while watching him is enough to get my mind going to make up riffs, and little bass lines. The more I watch the more I realize I have to learn, but the more I practice the clearer it gets that I can.

Moral?: Make a friend of a fantastic player, and play with them frequently, it will make you unconciously practice and learn on your own, to get better and show off in essence, just a good showing off... lol.

Buckle up - It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Borrow money from pessimists, they don't expect it back.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Learn Jazz guitar!!!!!!
It will open you musical thinking in so many diferent ways, and makes you think about doing things in music(whether it be chord patterns, or solos), that you'd never think of before. Actually, this is probably the case with any new musical style, but I reccomend jazz to any guitar player.

ReplyQuote