Skip to content
Does your playing r...

Notifications
Clear all

Does your playing really suck sometimes?

21 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Mine does, and lately I've been useless, in fact it seems I've been going backwards. After much agnst about this I arrived at the conclusion that I may be sleep deprived. After some research I found out that lack of sleep may have numerous impacts on the skills we need to play guitar, including concentration, coordination, strength, etc. Indeed my periods of worse than usual suckiness seem to correspond with periods of little sleep.

Anyway I make this post just FYI and in hopes it may shed light for someone who seems to go through periods when they are worse than before. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.uiu.edu/residential/student_life/wellness/sleep/gottogetsomesleep.html

http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/news/articles.asp?id=27337

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Definitely. When people tell you to go to bed early and rest well before a gig, they arent joking. Sleep is really a vital part of how you perform with many different tasks, including making music.

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

Definitely. When people tell you to go to bed early and rest well before a gig, they arent joking. Sleep is really a vital part of how you perform with many different tasks, including making music.

So how does one explain Keith Richards? :?

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Post-mortem, all rule are out the window.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

So how does one explain Keith Richards?

In two ways:

1) The requirements for sleep greatly depend on the individual. There are known, and scientifically proven, cases of people who need only one or two hours a sleep every day without losing any skills.

2) The Stones are not exactly scared of creating myths about themselves. When Keith says he 'never sleeps' this could be taken with a few truckloads of salt.

The general point: everyone needs to get the ammount of sleep he needs before important events. A lack of sleep isn't concrete but relative: what might be enough for Keith may be not enough for me. So one should always try to get the ammount of sleep your body seems to want, regardless of how long others sleep. Do note that sleeping less then 45 minutes will not allow you to go through all stages in a standard sleep-cycle, and will not be of much benefit. So if you go to bed, make it atleast 45 minutes, and as long as you need.

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It is unfortunate that North American society has lead us to take pride in "getting by" with as little sleep as possible and people seem to take pride in not sleeping. I have come to realize lately that I'm worse when I have little sleep that when I'm half drunk, and I mean worse at just about everything.

In any event it is something to think about in terms of performance levels not only with a guitar, but many, many tasks, and quality of life in general. Just posted it as food for thought.

Think I'll go practice Brahm's Lullaby now.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Keith Richards is special, he's got his living-undead Skeletor powers.

And Narn has a good point about sleep. Here in the US we're under a LOT of pressure to always be doing somthing with our time, that we shouldn't waste it, ect, ect. I find myself being overstretched quite often. Somtimes we need to just slow things down.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Somtimes we need to just slow things down.

Therein lies the answer to Keith Richards. He slowed down to such a degree he can get buy without sleep. If we spend 30% of our time sleeping it would only make sense that since Keith seems to be at least 50% slower than most people he should be able to avoid sleep entirely.

Wwwweeeeelllllllll IIIIIII mmmmmuuuuuusssssssttttt bbbbbeeeeee gggggggoooooiiiiiiinnnnngggggg!!!!!!!!! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Keith Richards truly does not sleep - he simply goes into an 8 hour coma

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Does your playing really suck sometimes?

Yes.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I think that when it comes to Keith Richards, and even Slash who gets so drunk but still can play to a point. I think alot of these people have been playing guitar for so long they are no loger thinking about it, like they say you do something enouph you can do it in your sleep, but when you are learning something you need sleep and rest to absorb what you are learning. I know there are things I do at work everyday that I could do half asleep because I have done it for so long.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

often

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

My playing sucks all the time. haha!

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Post-mortem, all rule are out the window.

LMAO! Anyone want to volunteer to tell Keith he's really dead and has been for decades? :shock: :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

He's decomposing some new music right now.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2