Got myself a Dean!!

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Bought myself a christmas present yesterday (He!He!) a Dean Avalanche One. Anybody around here play one?

Unfortunately no amp yet, but I begin amp shopping today.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

(@death_to_theory)
Trusted Member

ugh good and bad for u good u got a guitar but bad becuase deans has the crapiest sound in the world

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Narn: Great purchase. A friend of mine has a Braziliabrust Avalanche One, and it is a great guitar for it's money. It's very playable, and sounds surprisingly good for what little it costs. In my opinion it's at least as good as an MIM (fat) strat. On a sidenote: all Dean guitars I played so far are amazing value for the money, with the lower-cost accoustics being somewhat of an exception. Which color did you get?

Death_To_Theory: Care to tell us your experiences with Dean?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

My first thought when reading the title of this thread: Arjen will approve.

Enjoy it, Narn.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Arjen, it's Braziliaburst, really nice for the price I paid. Actually it was some of your posts that mentioned Dean Guitars that lead me to even consider one. Being an acoustic player dabbling into electric I wanted to have something that had good reviews (I did read around and your opinion on Dean guitars is echoed the great majority of reviews I read) at a reasonable price and (DTT pay attention here) sounded good to me.

DTT, I have heard much worse for the price, and much worse for a lot more money. I won't pay for any name because folks have been taught to believe it's the "right" brand to have. I can accept that you have a negative opinion of the brand, but, like Arjen, may I ask what experiences have lead you to have this opinion?

Blanket statements about something being the "crapiest" with no explanation of your opinion don't exactly enhance your credibility, this type of post leads to flaming and pointless he said/she said arguements. A comment such as " I don't like them brecause...." would be much preferred by most and could actually give some useful information. (I will not comment further on this.)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Narn, That's a nice looking guitar. I have never played one but have heard a lot of good things about them.

With this "GAS" phase I am going through I may just have to buy one :D

Good luck and enjoy

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Is this the color? You will have to give us a review on it. She looks good. Have fun.

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This is a poor picture of one. After I get used to it I'll post my thoughts.

ReplyQuote
(@death_to_theory)
Trusted Member

well it was my first guitar it was good to me for a couple months cuz i really didnt kno wnething bout guitars........... then as i got better and more knowledgable i becam aggrivated with the sound of the guitar and how it kept detuning it self after ever song i played the humbuckers were shit i got hummin constantly welll wat else can i say bout it frets r to big the guitar is really small there more but thats about it

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Narn, congratz on your guitar, I am sure you'll be happy with it.
Don't fualt any brand because of one bad experience.
My daughter has a Dean Playmate PPE , electro-acoustic.
For the price it is a great sounding guitar and have had no problems keeping it tuned.
Each guitar is different. When we went to buy my daughter hers there where 2 of the exact same guitars on the wall. We tried both and they had completely different sounds. Of course we grabbed the one that was best.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

ugh good and bad for u good u got a guitar but bad becuase deans has the crapiest sound in the world

Interesting. Went to a guitar clinic last night. The instructor was Michael Angelo Batio...Speed Kills. He played 3 Deans. His custom double guitar and two that he pulled off the wall at the shop. One hardtail and one Vendetta. Neither of which was priced above $500. They sounded pretty good to me. Sounded good enough that when I shop for my next electric a Dean Hardtail will be amongst my choices. YMMV :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

well it was my first guitar it was good to me for a couple months cuz i really didnt kno wnething bout guitars........... then as i got better and more knowledgable i becam aggrivated with the sound of the guitar and how it kept detuning it self after ever song i played the humbuckers were poop i got hummin constantly welll wat else can i say bout it frets r to big the guitar is really small there more but thats about it

Yeah right. I have the cheapest Avalanche in the series. Double fat strat model. Noise is pretty much non-existent (compared to my 5x more expensive Ibanez RG550). If you know how to apply strings to a guitar it doesn't detune. Guitar is standard sized, feel free to compare it to any other strat. Fret size are a matter of taste, and vary per model.

Twisted: Di Batio is mind numingly stunning. I saw him on a dean tour in Holland as well, and his technique is absolutely awesome. Those new Korean hardtail selects really rock indeed, btw. :D

ReplyQuote
(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

Hi. I know some one that has like 20(?) electric guitars and most are DEAN. they look and sound good also.
I know that the Dean copy of the explorer is a very good guitar
I don't know about their acoustic and Semi hollows, but the solid electrics I've seen were just fine.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote