Clear all

Good funk songs to learn?

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, one kid I know at school might be startin a funk band soon, said if it works out, he'd like for me for guitar. Sounds kinda cool, hes said were gonna try and get a horn section and some other stuff. Only thing is that I've never really played funk. I like listening to it, i just don't that much, and don't know any good songs to learn, and good suggestions? Any tips for playing funk? Thanks.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

How about Hendrix's Band of Gypsies, they do this song called Power of Soul thats got such a good funky groove. You should check it out, it rocks.

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

We generally call on Nick to show us the way of the funk, but I'll give it a shot...

The best way to learn to play funk is to listen to it and play along with it. IMO, it is all about tight, rhythmic playing and careful arrangement/interplay among a lot of instruments playing rather sparsely. On guitar, these things seem important:

* Knowing how to create interesting 'funky' single line runs and rhythms on the lower strings. Usually these are melodically simple, but rhythmically sophisticated.

* Playing double and triple stop sliding lines on the highest two or three strings -- usually intervals or chord inversions that form the chordal structure. Clean, tasteful, sometimes with wah. Good funk rhythm guitar playing often times seems to emmulate horn phrasings.

* Being able to use a wah pedal really well. Sometimes an envelope follower will do, but a fully manual wah is the trick.

* Listening and feeling. It's all about hitting the groove, and helping to support it with just enough playing and not too much.

Recommended listening ...

Obvious:
Almost anything by Parliament Funkadelic, George Clinton and the P-Funk All-Stars, Bootsy Collins,, James Brown, Rick James

Don't forget:
Prince -- stuff like Little Red Corvette
RHCP -- most of Blood, Sugar, Sex and Magic

Not so obvious:
Beck (Hanson) -- Most cuts on the the Midnight Vultures CD. A bit of a modern funk send-up, but enjoyable and the musicianship is superb.
Talking Heads -- Mid-career the Heads were very funky for a bunch of white guys I Zimbra (Fear of Music), Crosseyed and Painless (Remain in Light) Related to this is the Tom-Tom Club (Chris Franz and Tina Weymouth of T-Heads gone solo)

If you can get into a good funk band, you will not regret it. It will greatly develop the rhythmic aspects of your playing.

Good luck -- Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Check out The Crunge, by Zeppelin. That's a good example of running up and down on the high strings.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/led_zeppelin/houses_of_the_holy/the_crunge_tab.txt

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

Everything on this album is a classic:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000006NX9/002-3370027-2356040?v=glance

And here is a basic lesson on funk:

http://www.cyberfret.com/styles/funk/101/index.php

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Funk revolves around rythem and timing. The sound is very purcusive and choppy. Obviouisly you'll stuggle composing it if you've never played any:

Chilli Peppers are gr8 for funk. Check out 'If you have to Ask' - a typical funk riff and 'Funky Monks'
Or just check out the whole Blood Sugar Sex Magik album.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I enjoy RHCP for listening, but I don't think they're the best for instructional purposes, you have to understand that what they do is a very unique brand of funk, mixed with a lot of straight ahead rock influences, and spiced up with a little hip-hop. I think of them as an evolution of funk.

James Brown, old Ray Charles, and how on EARTH did someone not mention Tower of Power. That's where the goods are at...

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Whoops, forgot Stevie Wonder, THAT dude, can lay down the funk.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@howyadoin)
Trusted Member

FUNK #48 and FUNK #49 by the James Gang!!!! Or anything else by the James Gang or Joe Walsh....

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the great suggestions, gotta try all of these out in the next few days. I looked at a few lessons(the one on cyberfret is really good) and i see what everyone means by rhythm. I don't have the greatest rhythm, so Imma need to work on that. Even if im not the greatest funk guitarist there ever was, I think i'll fit in nicely, seems that guitar is more of a rhythm intrument than a lead in funk.

also, any rough guidelines for a funk sound setting for amp/guitar?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Get a nice clean sound. Use a compressor for a nice punchy type sound. You dont want distortion. You can use a nice trebely sound (just not too brittle). Thats what i go with.

Thats a cool coincidence. I just started a funk band recently with two friends.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@bill252842)

For straight out funk you must hear anything by Tower of Power, Average White Band and Sly & the Family Stone. "Thankyoufalletinmebemyselfagin" is an easy funk song that's fun to play.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

also, any rough guidelines for a funk sound setting for amp/guitar?

To paraphase Izzy, clean and snappy. And get a wah pedal.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote