Doing clean bends

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi all-

This is my first post in a while, sorry I've been absent so long.

I began working on learning lead guitar about a month or so ago. One particular problem I'm having regards doing bends. Hoping someone might have some tips.

The particular problem I have is keeping the other strings from sounding , particularly when releasing the bend. The string I have the mst trouble keeping quiet is the adjacent string in the direction of the bend.

What I'm working to do is to get a clean sound from only the string I'm bending and none others. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Use the fingers closer to the peghead to support your bend. That'll do a couple of things....

As you push up, it won't be just your bending finger bumping up agains the lower strings - so as you release, there won't be as much of a chance of getting them to sound accidentally.

Also as you push up, the supporting fingers will flatten out, dampening the higher strings.

As a bonus, you've got one or more fingers positioned to come out of the release into another note, a pull-off, or a trill.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i usually bend with my ring or pinkie finger, reinforced by my index and middle fingers. on a large bend, the tip of my index finger, and sometimes my middle finger, will touch the string below it, helping to keep it from sliding under the bending string, as well as muting it.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Also, use your picking hand to palm mute strings above the string you bend. Just rest the side of your hand on the strings. This will stop a lot of unwanted noises.

Everybody has trouble with these unwanted sounds at first. But you will adjust and get them out. Then it will become natural and you won't even think about it. So don't be discouraged.

Rock On

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Everybody has trouble with these unwanted sounds at first. But you will adjust and get them out. Then it will become natural and you won't even think about it. So don't be discouraged.

Rock On

Thanks, Wes. My teacher said the same thing about it; it just takes ine to workit out. He used to have the same trouble when he first started and now he doesn't even have to think about it. I'll try those things you and the others suggested.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote