Clear all

Don't you think?

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Don't you think that because some kids (or people in general) are in such a rush to sound like their favorite guitarist on the radio or television, that when they run up against a problem or don't get as good as they want as quickly as they want, they get discouraged and want to give up on the guitar, or whatever intstument they might be playing?

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

yep, an thank goodness for garage sales and ebay :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I think that does happen in some (too many) cases, but there are still plenty of beginners who do that Bryan Adams "played it 'til my fingers bled" thing.
The Holiday 2005 issue of Guitar World had an article called "The Album That Changed My Life." Among those interviewed was George Thorogood, who told about how he practiced the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time" about six times before he even left for school in the morning. George said his father never complained about the "endless loop" of that song.
Years later, he was opening for the Stones in Philly, and his father was there with him.
George: Dad, how about this? After all these years, I'm opening for the Rolling Stones. What do you think of that?
Dad: They're not going to play "The Last Time," are they?
George: No, Dad I don't think so.
Dad: Thank God.
:lol:

Right at this moment, there may be some kid somewhere practicing "The Last Time," forwards and backwards. If not, there are kids (and adults) who are just starting out (or haven't picked up a guitar yet) but have the dedication to "put in some serious fret time" every day. Maybe some of them are browsing garage sales, too. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I think that does happen in some (too many) cases, but there are still plenty of beginners who do that Bryan Adams "played it 'til my fingers bled" thing.
The Holiday 2005 issue of Guitar World had an article called "The Album That Changed My Life." Among those interviewed was George Thorogood, who told about how he practiced the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time" about six times before he even left for school in the morning. George said his father never complained about the "endless loop" of that song.
Years later, he was opening for the Stones in Philly, and his father was there with him.
George: Dad, how about this? After all these years, I'm opening for the Rolling Stones. What do you think of that?
Dad: They're not going to play "The Last Time," are they?
George: No, Dad I don't think so.
Dad: Thank God.
:lol:

Right at this moment, there may be some kid somewhere practicing "The Last Time," forwards and backwards. If not, there are kids (and adults) who are just starting out (or haven't picked up a guitar yet) but have the dedication to "put in some serious fret time" every day. Maybe some of them are browsing garage sales, too. :wink:
thanx , i never heard that story.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Quitters never win, and winners never quit.

You have to be tough to be a guitar player (or any instrument). Playing guitar is not for people who want things easy. Guitar is only for those who have determination.

Here is a great statement by Liane Cardes

Continuous effort, not strength or intelligence is the key to unlocking our potential.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Playing guitar is like any other art or skill - like Wes said, you need that dedication and inner strength to succeed, you have to put in the hard work....

There will be some people with a natural talent or flair for the guitar - and I don't care if you're the next Jimi/Eric/EVH/SRV/(insert guitar deity of choice here) you're never going to reach your full potential unless you put the hard yards in....

The reason I play guitar for hours every day is simple - because I love to play the guitar! That, and the knowledge I can always improve, drives me on....

There will be people who pick up a guitar and try it for a while, they may find they haven't got the time, or the energy, or the self-discipline....but there will always be some who persevere, and they're the ones you'll be hearing on your radio in a few years time.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I agree with all that was said here.

The only thing that makes me feel better about my playing level is that I am better than all those people who quit and based on eBay and the used corner in guitar shops it's alot.

My goal is to get good enough that on the day I die people will say "Gee, he was playing pretty good yesterday wasn't he?"

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

. . . all those people who quit and based on eBay and the used corner in guitar shops it's alot.Maybe some of them are selling off some stuff to pay for their big upgrade. :wink:
My goal is to get good enough that on the day I die people will say "Gee, he was playing pretty good yesterday wasn't he?"What's that one member's tagline, something about not wanting to be better than the rest, just better than my own best? Trying to be better than the person we see in the mirror can be a lot of work, but very rewarding. (Although sometimes I have days when it wouldn't be too hard to be better than I was the day before. :oops: )
Self-improvement is a Good Thingâ„¢. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

Don't you think that because some kids (or people in general) are in such a rush to sound like their favorite guitarist on the radio or television, that when they run up against a problem or don't get as good as they want as quickly as they want, they get discouraged and want to give up on the guitar, or whatever intstument they might be playing?

True. You got to set realistic, measureable, and achievable goals; and never quit. Most people think that an artist is flattered when someone tries to imitate him or her. I read somewhere that to imitate an artist in the way he/she sings and plays can be considered an insult to the artist. I think what was meant was that an imitator devalues the unique qualities of the Artist. (there ain't no way I'm ever gonna be able to sing like Geddy Lee :))

Everyone cannot help be influenced by others, but ultimately we all must be ourselves.

A recurring theme of your post is the lack of Patience that some kids (or people in general) have. (i.e rush, run up against, as quickly as...). It's good that you realize that we all need to slow down at times, and maintain that faith in ourselves that if we persevere, we can achieve our goals in their perfect time.

Ghost

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

I used to be able to sing like Geddy Lee...then I hit puberty ;)

Almost all the kids I know these days know how to play few chords on the guitar but only a few are even good enough to play simple songs.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@whoelse)
Estimable Member

"A recurring theme of your post is the lack of Patience that some kids (or people in general) have. (i.e rush, run up against, as quickly as...). It's good that you realize that we all need to slow down at times, and maintain that faith in ourselves that if we persevere, we can achieve our goals in their perfect time. "

Ghost

That's one of the things that's inspiring about Guitar Noise... the number of "grown-ups" (and I use that term very loosely :wink: ) who are starting out as beginners at the ripe old age of 40+. Being one of them, I'm hoping that I have more patience and perseverance tnan the first time I tried to play at the age of 19. Thanks to all of you for the wisdom and inspiration.
Dave

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i played the guitar for maybe 10 years before my thoughts about it were any different than being able to play like this or that player. so if i meet someone covering a song i normally wouldn't play, or in a different style, i usually just pay attention to what they're doing and try to learn something from it, so i can learn a new technique or song or some theory.
and yes, i have wanted to give up on the guitar more than once.

ReplyQuote