0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Found this on eay...Vintage Gibson 1953 Les Paul Gold Top Guitar /w Case

(@Anonymous)

And this one: VINTAGE 1965 FENDER STRATOCASTER GUITAR STRAT W/CASE

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Both nice guitars and I would love to have either one.
But if I was Rich would I value them any more than the ones I have now when money is tight?
Now if I could, with a little struggle, afford to buy one it would be a prized possesion.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I don't think I'd mind being rich. But Missileman's got a point.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

If I were rich, think of the possibilities...

I made a list of guitars I want if I were rich, so far it's about 45 gibsons 23 fenders, some ibanez, dean, washburn, epiphone, like 4 rickenbackers, should I go on? :lol:

Don't get me started on amps and acoustic guitars

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Think people that buy them ever play 'em?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

thats the great part, I WOULD play all of them. I'd have the greatest selections I'd ever want. :D

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I watched a documentary once that said Metallica has something like over 600 hundred guitars in their inventory.

/drool

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I don't have nearly that many, but I end up just playing one or two regularly while the others languish. Eventually I rediscover one I haven't been playing for a while and go nuts over it for a while. Like getting a new one. Just keeping 'em all strung and maintained gets to be a chore, and it's something to worry about and feel guilty about if you're not doing it. The really rich guys with big collections of guitars, cars, or whatever usually end up hiring people to maintain them for them. The idea of being rich is appealing, but if you've got too many things, they can end up owning you.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Maybe I should have used a different title for this topic...I just wanted you to see the two vintage guitars I found on eBay :? :? :? :? :?

I never realized they were worth that much!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

hmmm,
if i were "rich" would i truly value possessing expensive beautiful treasures like those or would they just be something i "have"?

wow that was deep...(in a shallow sorta way) :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I never realized they were worth that much!They're not, to me. I think the inflated prices for "vintage" guitars are insane. They're driven by an investment mentality, bought by people thinking that someone will always end up paying more for them later. They've already gone way out of the range that any intrinsic value based on their utility as musical instruments can support, and it gets impractical to take something so costly out and play with it. It might get knocked over on a stand, a strap might come off and drop it, or it could get beer sloshed on it and you'd lose thousands of dollars. Never mind simple playing wear, belt buckle scratches, that kind of thing. I think the bubble has to eventually burst on collectible guitar values, like it did on Dutch tulip bulbs and Beanie Babies.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I used to collect trading cards and comic books...I still have them and they are holding their value but the market is MUCH slower now than it was when I collected...

Same is probably true with guitars...

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

They're not, to me. I think the inflated prices for "vintage" guitars are insane. They're driven by an investment mentality, bought by people thinking that someone will always end up paying more for them later. They've already gone way out of the range that any intrinsic value based on their utility as musical instruments can support, and it gets impractical to take something so costly out and play with it.

Too right! At that age it's quite probably clapped out and unplayable anyway.

And as TwistedLefty says, if we were that rich the guitar probably wouldn't actually mean that much anyway. It would most likely be just another possession to gloat over for a few moments and then stick in the cupboard with all the others.

I consider myself to be rich. Very rich.

I'm rich because I have a family I love, including a wife who I've shared the last 25 years of my life with. I'm rich because I have the gift of being able to read and write (a gift not bestowed on over half the world's people). I'm rich because I've used those gifts extensively for over half a century and have acquired an immeasurable treasury from doing so.

I'm rich because it's peaceful where I live and I enjoy what I do with my days. I'm rich because the flashes of red and green outside my window are on the wings of wild parrots, not on blood-stained uniforms. The noise I hear is birdsong not traffic or gunfire. And I'm wealthy because I have the key to one of the biggest hoard of riches ever amassed - music.

Someone once said "Getting there is half the fun", but actually it's all the fun. Those who spend their lives chasing money and then expect to be able to buy what's missing in their lives almost always end up empty handed, no matter how full their houses are.

My wife and I have a system whereby we save a little each week to spend on whatever we want. It's only small so it could be instantly wasted on crap. But if we wait long enough we can get something good that we've had all the pleasure of anticipating.

Our debts were all paid off years ago, so I could buy that guitar right now and not have to borrow the cash, but it wouldn't mean anything like as much as the ones that I've saved for and savoured - the most expensive of which cost less than US$400.

Whoops. Waffling again.... :oops:

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

We love your waffling Chris, Never stop..

and I'm not as rich as you.. but I am rich myself... in other words, I totally agree.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3