Notifications
Clear all

Don't you wish you were rich!

35 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

As usual Chris hit the nail on the head. Waffling or not...

I happen to notice that there are no bids on that LP Goldtop. Maybe someone will swoop down at the last second and grab it late so as not to start a bidding war. Or maybe it isn't worth the $18,000 the seller believes it is.

That is not a guitar to play. In the same way that a 1918 24 cent airmail stamp with an upside down airplane on it is not for sending a friend a letter. (The "Inverted Jenny" sold at auction for $155,000). These are investments that are purchased by people who hope that the value of these objects go up faster than the rate of inflation.

I will not go into the richness of life as I can't better what has already been said, except to say...
If I was at the point where money was not a concern of mine, where I had more than enough for every whim. Then I could retire and study guitar all day long with the best tutors that money could buy. Then I could pick up any guitar be it $300 or $3000 and make it sound great.

Until then I have to go it alone without the tutors. I'll get there though, it will just be slower trip.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

There's a saying in the biker community. "It's the ride, not the destination."

That is one sweet guitar though. :)

So, if you had a chance to play one of those big dollar ones, or the Keith Richards beat-to-smithereens Tele, which would it be?

Mikespe, may I need to get one of those SX tele copies, yank the low e and make it a open g axe. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Cool pics from eBay. If I had that kind of cash there's no way in hell I would buy a vintage guitar from eBay though. Actually I don't think I could comprehend paying that much for a guitar. $500 was a big purchase for me on a guitar. EBay pics are good for drooling over though.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I had an earlier discussion over this topic -

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=16601&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I was quite amazed by this discovery :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

You know, what's really funny is that these are some pretty cheap guitars for the era, really, especially the LP. At that low of a price, there's probably something seriously wrong with it.

58,59 and '60 LP's are headed into the $400,000 range right now actually, and the best examples are speculated to sell closer to $500k.

After spending enough time reading about vintage guitars, or looking at the vintage area on the LP forum, it gets boring seeing people whining about how old guitars are rising in price. They don't rise that far because someone thinks it'd cool to jack up their prices, they rise that far because the demand is that high. It has NOTHING to do with the value of it's parts, labor, or really even age, fact is people pay big money for it.

I used to get almost mad at people who would tell me that a guitar can go for half a million dollars because of demand - "But it's not worth that, it's just way too much money!" I would say. However, it's not too much money, because they sell. Case closed.

Sorry for the rant, but this really does come up way too much in vintage guitar circles, and it's obnoxious to see that so many people just don't get it, when really, it's just the reality of supply and demand.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

18,000?!!! I fail to see how any guitar could ever be worth spending that amount.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If I had that kind of money lying around, doing nothing I'd invest it, but, for the sake of argument, if I was so rich that it didn't matter, I'd go to a luthier and have a custom guitar built especially for me, to my spec. That'd be far more satisfying than having a collector's piece (although owning Blackie or Brownie would probably change my mind - they're unique pieces of musical history, even if they are Frankencasters).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member

If I had that much money - I'd buy several good cheap guitars and give them to poor children who are eager to play the guitar.
I'd go through the fun of buying guitars without the need to find a place for them ...

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

18,000?!!! I fail to see how any guitar could ever be worth spending that amount.

Simon....wait 'til you see this :!:

For $18,000 you could have bought this old Martin guitar. You would have to invest maybe another grand in repairs, but the Martin collectors say this was not a bad price for this guitar!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARTIN-OM-28-1930-RARE-ORIGINAL-BEAUTIFUL_W0QQitemZ7350190892QQcategoryZ33028QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Man if i was rich i would'nt spend 18 grand (US) on a guitar i'll tell you that much.

That's like R120.000 :shock:

If i had that cash in my pocket id get myself some tickets to the Japanese Grand Prix in a couple of weeks. That would be awesome.

I'd love to see a Formula 1 Race live ESP before MS retires. I've seen testing and such but not a race - yet.

I will be spoiling myself this year though with one of these (similair atleast)

:twisted:

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

If I were rich I'd certainly own a few nice guitars, but they wouldn't be anything more than what I'll probably eventually own anyway (and I'm certainly not rich). I'd also get a good amp and pedal setup, probably way more than I'd ever need actually. Like a Marshall JCM900 with a '60s cab or something. It would be fun though.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

By the time I ever get some money digital guitars will totally outclass any vintage guitar. I'm not going to get a 50s Gibson just like I am not going to live in a cave or hunt for food with a spear.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I work in a digital world - the last thing I want is a digital guitar!
Yeah, I know I'm a fossil - Nice wood, well made electronics/mechanics, tube amp, tube + tape reverb (Ahhhhhhhhhhh, Binson, WEM, Meazzi), huge cones and magnets on enormous speakers.

You know, if I had all that around me, I'd be a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry happy fossil.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I'm of the belief that a guitar sounds better with age. Yup if I was rich as all get out and if the instrument was going to be played then, yes, I would spend that much money.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Well this thread ballooned into something I didn't expect so I guess if I can't beat 'em I'll join them!

If I had the money (meaning if it wouldn't matter what I spent it on and I wouldn't go broke if I spent it) I would DEFINITELY buy that guitar...well not from eBay but if I saw it at the store where I could play it. This is because I LOVE collectable items like old cars, motorcycles, guitars, trading cards, comic books, etc. I like them not for the monetary value (which is a nice bonus though!) but because of the nostalga (*sp?) that goes with it. Wondering the journey a particular item took, who played/used them, and the owner's history as well. You know the old saying "If these walls could talk" well "If this guitar could talk" I would love to hear what it had to say. Was it used in a concert in some club in the 50's or 60's and what it was like then (I was born in 1966 so I don't remember that well :wink: ).

I would definitely play it regularly, as well as, if I owned an old car I would drive it. (I owned a 1966 Mustang when I was 22 and I drove it EVERYWHERE!). What good is something like this if you don't play it.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3