Clear all

Drum Machines Help please.....!!!!

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

greetings all. Boy its hot here in the UK at the moment! I even went for a swim lunchtime in the pollution infested English Channel - and survived!

Anyway the question is this. Every week my mate and I try and get together for a strum. We're at the stage where we really need some form of rhythm in the background to help us synch.

Can anyone recommend a drum machine that will play ok at quiet levels, doesn't need a degree in physics to get working, has a good variety of rhythms, and isn't too expensive?

Oh and most importantly, as a complete and utter novice in this field, will it need to be played through an amp or something? I have a Roland Cube that could be used if necessary.

All advice much appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

If you're practice area has a computer with a good sound card in it, look at some of the software drum machines out there.

I use a version of Reason Adapted that came with my sound card, and it works great, and is very easy to use for drum machine work.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Yes, you'll need an amp. Your roland cube should suffice for a while.

Strangely, the cheapest way I can think of to get a drum machine effect is probably a Digitech RP-50. Actually a guitar processor, but it has a drum machine built in with 25 (I think) loops built in, and super simple adjustable tempo and volume.

You might consider a simple loop program for your computer and then just pumping up your computer speakers or putting it through your stereo system (if you have one).

Bad things about the computer approach:
-More time consuming to learn. Not rocket science by any means, but not plug and play.
-Not as convenient, not portable, unless you're on a laptop plugging into your roland using a small pile of adapters.

Good things about it:
-Find a freebie program or use the FruityLoops demo, and you might be able to do the entire thing for free
-Could also program bass and/or percussion, fills etc.
-Make grooves to fit exactly the songs you're playing.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@red_dwarf)
Trusted Member

At home I use Garagebands drum loops, just for a fill in the back. Still, would be cool to have an electronic drum kit to simulate the real thing.

"The whole purpose in life is to not be bored"

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Strangely, the cheapest way I can think of to get a drum machine effect is probably a Digitech RP-50.

If you get one of these also get the optional power adapter. It uses 6 AA batteries and goes through them quite fast.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

THe owner and long time player at the shop I take lessons at says these are cool and has already sold a few. Good bang for the $$

John M

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

THe owner and long time player at the shop I take lessons at says these are cool and has already sold a few. Good bang for the $$

What are "These"?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I plug my RP200 into my surround sound for my laptop (headphone jack in pedal).

Why

1) It's easier than drinking a cold beer on a hot day (Un-plug from laptop plug-in on pedal).

2) It sounds great.

3) I can play my amp without two things trying to happen on one speaker.

4) Did I mention that it's easier than riding a tricycle (drunk even!!!)

Yea, you can use it through your amp but, I did not like the way it sounded and it sounded like it was going to blow something up.

2 cents on the dollar.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

What are "These"?

The Fender G-Dec in the link above. Fender's new little combo amp with a bunch of digital effects and drum machine in one.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

If you play a drum machine through the amp, and you've got the amp set to overdrive or distortion, won't the drums also distort? (I know, the answer seems very obvious, but I'm asking anyway just to make sure.)

Also, If you want to record both guitar and drums on your computer, and you mic your amp and connect the mic to the mic input on the computer, where in the chain would you connect the drum processor (assume it's an RP50 for now)? If you do what Tracker does, can you record the drum track and the guitar at the same time? And would you plug the RP50 into a line-level input at the same time the mic cable is plugged into the mic input?

Sorry for the newbie q's.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote