Clear all

Quick Slide Question

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, I got a Quick question for this cheapo guitar i'm thinkin of buying for slide: http://www.rondomusic.net/dg2512.html

I just want to clarify that slide will work with 12 stringers, I know its a stupid question, but I want to make absolutly sure before I bite... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

well, i assume it would work, but wouldn't it be alot harder to play slide on a 12 string?

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

slide will work fine on a 12 string

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

well, i assume it would work, but wouldn't it be alot harder to play slide on a 12 string?

Yeah, what I was thinking is that maybe the neck would be too thick for the slide, so I'd need a longer one...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

that too, but i was thinking about hitting the actual strings, cuz you would be forced to hit every string you want, and its double underneath it

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

There's quite a bit more rattle and buzz when you play 12-string with a slide, but it's part of the tradition. The noise comes in part from the way the octave strings and setup - oO - so the slide will make contact with the thicker string more than the thinner one. Unless you have the action up a bit and press down further.

Didn't Kottke have his 12-strings setup differently, like with the tops of the strings level and the bottoms - toward the fretboard - uneven?

Anyhow, you might also get a concave brass or pyrex slide (Dunlop makes some) that more closely follows the radius of the fretboard.

Best

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Slide works great on twelve string. Give a listen to Leo Kottke's Six & Twelve String Guitar.

He wrote the book on twelve string slide. Start with Vaseline Machine Gun.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

There's quite a bit more rattle and buzz when you play 12-string with a slide, but it's part of the tradition. The noise comes in part from the way the octave strings and setup - oO - so the slide will make contact with the thicker string more than the thinner one. Unless you have the action up a bit and press down further.

Didn't Kottke have his 12-strings setup differently, like with the tops of the strings level and the bottoms - toward the fretboard - uneven?

Anyhow, you might also get a concave brass or pyrex slide (Dunlop makes some) that more closely follows the radius of the fretboard.

Best
Thanks alot man, that helps... :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote