elixir strings deteriorated ?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@itziks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi

i bought almost a year ago an acoustic that had elixir polywebs on it and liked it much.

then i went and changed the strings to d'addario phosphor bronze.
last month i tried to put elixir polyweb on the guitar - the strings sounded dead. i changed the strings to d'addario and the guitar was alive again... i changed to the original elixir's and the guitar sounded better then the new ones. Having read somewhere that elixir need some time to break-in - I put the new set again for a week - no help, the tone is still dead.

have elixir changed their strings to be of worse quality ? Is it possible that even the string where bought new they got old at the shop ?

itziks

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It's possible, I guess, that you got a defective set of strings. When they're new, they don't sound dead, just a bit brighter than desirable. And after about an hour of playing, they're fine. I continue using Elixir polywebs on my acoustic and find that the quality is the same as always.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member

i agree with musenfruend, u probably got a dead set. I always use poly's too. They sound the best.

Mikey

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I have the nanowebs on my acoustic and main electric. Both sound fine and I have changed the electric. Just had the acoustic for a week now. I use the D'addario on my other electric, but I like the sound of the elixers better. When I use up the last 2 sets of Daddairo I am going to put elixars on my backup also.

John M

ReplyQuote