Skip to content
Anyone know a widen...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone know a widenecked electric guitar?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jonsi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm, I want to find an electric guitar with wider neck than usual. My dream guitar has as wide neck as a classical one. Anyone know of anyone?

What kind of guitar is often used by jazz guitarists?

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I don't know what kind of wide you mean, it's up to you, go to a music store and try them out. Jazz guitarist usually use something called a jazz box. Here's one of the more higher end famous jazz box manufactuers: http://www.benedettoguitars.com/

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I used to want a guitar like that, but I ended up just getting used to my Strat.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

he common trend nowdays is these little Ibanez necks that are like a millimeter wide, and a millimeter thick.
Exaggerating? Yes.
The point is that most modern guitars have "C" shaped necks. This is a farily flat, narrow neck. An older design, called a "U" shaped neck, has a more classical feel to it. My suggestion would be to go somewhere with a lot of old guitars, and try to find one with a massive neck, because they are out there.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

PRS guitars have wider fingerboards than many other electrics, though certainly no where near a classical. Some of the ever-increasing number of PRS clones probably emulate this feature.

Traditional jazz guitarist favor(ed) a number of Gibson hollowbody models, most notably the ES-175 and L-5 (not L-5S). There are many lower cost clones of these, as well as pricier signature models.

Modern hollows considered good trad jazz guitars include the Hofner Jazzica and President, Ibanez Pat Metheny and George Benson models. More affordable options are Epiphones such as the Emperor Regent (IIRC, similar to Joe Pass model) and the Ibanez Artcore line. That said, almost every type of guitar has been used by jazzers, from the Telecaster and Tele Thinline to the semihollows (ES-135 or 137, ES-335, Epi "Dot") to Strats and Les Pauls and SGs. Use what works for you.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@hughm)
Trusted Member

If you can lay your hands on an old Gibson Firebird (early 60's), you're in business. Great necks on those old beasts, and an amazing sound.

ReplyQuote