From Improv. to Solo

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@il_manti)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So... here's my problem

Sometimes im playing with my band on a new song, and I feel like doing aan improvised solo... and sometimes the solo is GREAT... but theres one problem

I can't reproduce it! When we play that song again and I retry that solo I can't do it like it was... and I just can't get it right again... and usually the second improisation comes out sounding like s*** ...

What can I do? Is it normal?

Thanks 4 d help guys
Manti

The truth does not matter in life. What really matters is what others believe to be the truth.

(@alangreen)

Ah, the number of times that killer solo has been lost forever because the tapes weren't running.

Yep, it's normal.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Reproducing good solos is tough but with practisee get's easier. You'll find there are some moves you really like and lot's you don't.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

don't try to reproduce the first solo... try to come up with a different solo. the first one probably came out so well because you were relaxed and weren't trying to play a great one, or imitate one you have played before.

although it can be good to remember the first solo and incorporate some of the ideas into future sound-making.

ReplyQuote
(@planetalk)
Reputable Member

I know the feeling well. The more you do it, the more variations you come with, the easier it becomes to make them all good, is what I found.

But, some of them are special, nonetheless.

Kirk

Kirk

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Jimmy Page used to do that; the Stairway solo was actually one of three.

If you tend to use certain licks, (ie that famous blues lick where you bend the G up a whole step so its in unison with the fretted B+E strings), maybe you can retrace your steps. Losing stuff is standard fair though, I was in the exact same place as you are last week in a jam session. Never got it back, oh well.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

A great improv is just that, It's happens in one exclusive chunk of time and place. That's what rock 'n' roll is all about. It's alive. It's not some moment in the dead past. Long live rock.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Just keep soloing over that same backing, and soon you'll be getting lots of good solos, and less bad ones.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote