Clear all

Elixir strings - the G strings break

42 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Is anyone else having this problem? I breifly went to D'Addario with no problems and they last about a month. However, I found a good price (about $12 - $24 dollars at the music store) on the internet for Elixir Nanoweb light gauge acoustic so I bought them. After changing the strings last week the "G" string broke 6 days later.

This is the third time this has happened and I hate breaking up a set? Anyone else having this problem?

Bob Jessie

(@davidhodge)

May not be the strings. Do they break in the same place, possibly at the nut or close to the saddle? That could be an indication that you've got a small burr in either and it's making the string wear faster at that particular place, causing it to break. Just a possibility, and you may have already investigated that, so sorry if I'm stating something obvious.

It'll be interesting to hear if anyone has this sort of problem with a particular brand of strings.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I haven't had that problem with D'Addario, but I do find they wear out/become dull very quickly. Elixir I've not used.

My strat would eat Fender Bullets for breakfast though - often the B string, but others too. On inspection, the string would snap right next to the edge of the 'bullet' and Ernie Balls worked fine, so I figured it was a design flaw in the bullets. The bullet end mustn't have been secured well enough.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

no problems with a prticular brand.....but if i break a string its always the G...I say no problem....... HOWEVER...

a+b divided by c to the power of 7 = hmmph...... (the more expensive the set the more likely you'll break one string) :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

May not be the strings. Do they break in the same place, possibly at the nut or close to the saddle?
Peace

Can't say, but I didn't have this problem with the D'Addario's so I'll say no? If I remember correctly it broke about an inch above (towards the neck) the soundhole.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Elixir strings are recommended by Tom Anderson Guitars because they hold their tone longer and he doesn't recommend something unless he tests them long and hard. I suspect your problem is the guitar and not the strings check out your bridge and nut.

Gerry

Those who can't dance always blame the band.

http://www.gerrycooper.com/

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Just a note to say that I've used Elixirs exclusively on my acoustic for about seven years and haven't had this problem. It does sound like the issue might not be the string.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

or a bad batch of strings? might explain the low price?

but it would still be worth taking your guitar do a decent luthier/techie anyway.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The G string in an acoustic set has the smallest core wire and is thus the most prone to breaking.

Personally I've not had a problem with Elixirs (I like their phos-bro mediums,) or any other brand for that matter. I just like Elixirs because I don't have to change them often.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

yeah i always use elixers on my acoustic and have had the G string unwind 3 separate times :S they sound great but have the lifespan of a cochroache!! a month tops....absolute tops...

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I used to have problems witht he "D" string.

I changed brands to EXP's & never looked back.

I don't really want Elixers even if they were given to me. I don't care for them.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I have Elixirs on my acoustic and have not had a problem. In fact, I think they are the best sounding/playing strings I've ever used.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I E-mailed them (Elixir strings) and they told me to call an 800 number and they will replace the string(s). Oh, right after posting this I broke the "D" string?

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I E-mailed them (Elixir strings) and they told me to call an 800 number and they will replace the string(s). Oh, right after posting this I broke the "D" string?

Bob Jessie

Great customer service I'd say !

ReplyQuote
(@lorfyre)
Estimable Member

This happened to me exactly a few weeks ago.
I had newly strung elixirs and was playing live, and then the G string (medium gauge acoustic) broke on me.
It is frustrating because they are elixirs.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3