epi les paul buying...

Notifications
Clear all

epi les paul buying tips?

54 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I am really leaning towards the SX GG1 Ash. Body is Mahagony as well as the neck (and I LOVE the Ash top!). It appears to have the same pickups as the Agile 2000 & 2500. It doesn't have the Grover tuners but I think I can live with that. It has a slightly exaggerated Les Paul shape. I have always like the "woodgrain' finish on guitars over standard "paint".

I am wondering about the neck...I have read that it has a "fat" neck. Someone called it "baseball bat-like"! However I would think that make's it easier to learn on given more surface area.

I just keep coming back to that guitar. I have a funny feeling in the morning this is the one I order.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

hmmm 8)
Yoyo visited them not too long ago and gave a pretty good description of what the experiance was like if i remember right.
here's the thread
https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15523&highlight=agile

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

omg this thread took off like wild fire....what have i done???

hmmm, tellem twisted sent ya. yeah that's the ticket, i might parley that into a discount :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

You guys are NOT helping with my case of gas. :P

That TC-630 looks more and more appealing.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Anyone know where I can find a local distributor of Agile guitars?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

No. They're a Rondo exclusive brand.

They're quite similar to the Tokai "Love Rocks" line, which is widely distributed.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

If you go to their About Us page where it says "Where can I purchase...? they say they are the MAIN distributor of Agile in the US and that others sell them under a different name.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, the "different name" part is key.

I suspect they're talking about Tokai, but I could be wrong.

ReplyQuote
(@sullivandf)
Estimable Member

This is timely for me as I'm going to northern New Jersey on business this week and plan on making my first trip to Rondo. I'll be very surprised if I don't leave with an LP copy. Especially considering all the positive reviews. Does anyone know how the neck feels on the LPs? I had an Epi Classic that I sold and one of things I didn't like about it was that the back of the neck was sort of tacky feeling. It didn't have the nice smooth finish that my Strat has.

I'll post after my trip with a review.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

This is timely for me as I'm going to northern New Jersey on business this week and plan on making my first trip to Rondo. I'll be very surprised if I don't leave with an LP copy. Especially considering all the positive reviews. Does anyone know how the neck feels on the LPs? I had an Epi Classic that I sold and one of things I didn't like about it was that the back of the neck was sort of tacky feeling. It didn't have the nice smooth finish that my Strat has.

I'll post after my trip with a review.

can't wait to hear the report!
btw i had a neck with a "tacky" feel also, i didn't really understand the feeling and just lived with it till i bought my strat. now i can't stand tacky feeling necks so i bought some 0000 grade steel wool and attacked all my necks and now they all feel like my strat :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The Agiles have great necks, nice and slick.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I am in the market for either (or both) a Strat and a Tele to replace one of my LP's. Does anyone know which Agile models are closest to them?

If the reviews come back good I may just try it this way and get the real thing later. This seems like an inexpensive approach to determine what I like better between Strat and Tele.

Thanks

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I hope some of you getting the LPs have a chance to do some A/B testing with epi or gibson and post your findings at some point.

I just paid $650 for a epi custom. I don't have buyer's remorse. In itself, it was a great deal. However, the 2800 would have left me with enough money to snag that Marshall MG50DFX.

I AM thinking about one of those strat copies though.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

I have an SX strat copy. Mine is the '57 copy, which you can see here:

http://www.rondomusic.net/sst57.html

I paid 99 bucks. I'm pretty happy with it, although I wish I would have purchased a "fat" model, with a humbucker at the bridge. Also, this model has a lacquered neck. I like the smooth neck of the '62 better.

The tobacco sunburst finish is just GORGEOUS though.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Snarfy, any idea on the sound comparison against the Fender strat?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4