Notifications
Clear all

epi les paul buying tips?

54 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

Snarfy, any idea on the sound comparison against the Fender strat?

No, sorry. I'm still quite a novice at this. I've never seriously played a strat, MIM or American, so I can't really make a comparison.

For me, at my ability level, it was the perfect way to satisfy my desire for a strat-style guitar without breaking the bank. I figured, at 99 bucks, if it was junk, I'd use it to squish spiders or something.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I have an SX strat copy. Mine is the '57 copy, which you can see here:

http://www.rondomusic.net/sst57.html

I paid 99 bucks. I'm pretty happy with it, although I wish I would have purchased a "fat" model, with a humbucker at the bridge. Also, this model has a lacquered neck. I like the smooth neck of the '62 better.

The tobacco sunburst finish is just GORGEOUS though.

I wanted to get a Tele-copy ( http://www.rondomusic.net/stl50.html as well since I have also like country music. However I think I just might wait to get an American Tele.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

OK folks. Thanks. Now I will wait for the rest of the reviews and decide which two (black strat and tele) I want. All of them fall in the $100 to $150 bracket so can't really go wrong.

That will give me a little time to finalize my new amp and recording equipment purchase.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Now can we talk about ACOUSTICS! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Did anyone ever answer the question that started this whole thread? :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

er- nope :)
The usual I guess, straight neck, make sure the pick-up switch works. Compare with Epi Elite and/ or low/mid range Gibby and see if you don't want cheaper copy to save more money for later...

Classic pickups should sound hotter than the regular. IIRC
At least it works that way on the low end Gibsons.

:?:

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

hey, i think i am gonna buy a les paul standard in the next month or so, and i was wondering if there are any tips u can give me as to things to look, or watch out for when buying a les paul. and do they come with cases usually?

thanx

Well Mikey,

I hope we answered your question!! OOOPPPPSSS!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

what is this thread even about anymore?

with the help of mikespe, yoyo and others, we have turned into a crazy bunch of rondo guitar fanatics, I think that 3 P90 les paul is looking reeeeeeal sweet right now :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Snarfy, any idea on the sound comparison against the Fender strat?
I admit, Rondo's good, but I don't think that would beat a MIM strat... Thats like comparing a Epi to a Gibson or a Squier to Fender... If you compare it to the 200 dollar Squier strats though, (I've played one), it blows it away! The SX is awesome for the money... :) Only real complaint I've heard is about the nut, but:

5 dollar bone nut(Or whatever they cost)
30 dollar setup
100 dollar SX

135 bucks still is cheap change to the price of the Squier Standard... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4