Skip to content
Epiphone les paul s...

Notifications
Clear all

Epiphone les paul standard tonal differences?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dan_54321)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing guitar a while now and have finally decided to purchase a new guitar, my current one being a squire strat (which I don't think is bad, but there are obviously better guitars out there!) I'm pretty keen on getting an epiphone les paul standard. I'm thinking of ordering online as this way I save around £100 and the colour I want isn't available in any guitar stores near me. However, I have read a couple of reviews that have stated that all of these guitars sound really different and that I should definitely pick one in a shop rather than buy online. Can this really be true? Surely these guitars are made almost exactly the same and contain exactly the same pick-ups and electrics, and even taking minor differences in set-up into account I would only expect minor differences in tone between models. Can anyone give me any feedback regarding this? Thanks in anticipation.

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

with any mass produced guitar, such as the epi LP, there can indeed be particularly good or particularly bad guitars which go through the production process without being checked. the basic set ups aren't much of an issue since the shop which stocks the guitar will give it a quick (or long, depending on the quality of the shop and the guitar) set up. but things like the quality of the wood used for the fingerboard can be alter drastically between two guitars of the same model (and this would have an impact on tone), or the frets can be poorly laid, impiring playability. where these things are less of an issue is when you get to the higher end guitars (IMO) since they're more likely to have been checked (sometimes several times) by the head people at the factory before being signed off, so there's greater consistency in the higher end guitars.

as an example, I have an Epiphone LP Std which I'm gonna upgrade the pups on, but I'll never sell it, and I don't feel the need to replace it with a 'proper' Gibson. I bought this guitar from a friend second hand, but it just happened to be a bloody beautiful Epi, I love the tone and have played Gibson LP Studios and Stds which don't have as nice a tone (more tudios than Stds, but Ive played a couple of fairly shoddy Stds too). My view was further reinforced when I happened to be in a situation where Peter Green and Eric Clapton both gave it a play, and they remarked on its excellent build and surprisingly good tone, even going so far as to say they wouldn't have guessed it was a 'mere' Epi if they hadn't seen the name on it.

I also have an American Std Strat, which I love. But I had to try a whole heap of strats (second hand, different models, different fingerboards, and some the 'same' model and fingerboard) before I found one I was truly happy with. One of my friends got a Mexican Strat shortly after I got my US Std, and their Mexican is as good, if not better, than mine - despite seemingly being a cheaper guitar.

So, yeah, low- to mid-range guitars can vary greatly from guitar to guitar and it is definitely worth trying it before buying it. Unless you can bear the possible hassle of returning it (possibly several times) and any additional costs doing this might incur.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

There will be differences, to be sure. Both in tone and playability and "feel."

Tone will be different, because no two pieces of wood are identical. There will be density, etc. differences in the wood on each guitar, etc. Also, the electronics will not be identical But, I have always thought such differences were fairly subtle. Doubtless, somebody will differ with my thoughts.

The bigger differences between guitars will be playabilty and how it "feels" to you. Even though most/all manufacturers use a large amount of automated processes in building a guitar, all guitars built in the same factory will not be identical. Little variations will be noticeable when you play each guitar. Quality control will not catch all defects/issues. Especially in bargain priced guitars - but also in expensive names (Gibson is usually singled out for QC issues).

There will be some that feel & sound great - while others of the same make and model will not. That is why people advise you go and play as many of the model you want and pick the best one for you. I have bought guitars online - some were great some were not. The ones I didn't like, I sent back. Most big online stores will have a period of time they will accept a return with no questions asked.

ReplyQuote
(@dan_54321)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for both your replies so far, they were really helpful. Differences between individual guitars of the same make are something I hadn't really thought about much in the past, I had been more focused on differences between makes and models.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Similar-ish experience to Scrybe. Back in 2005 I decided I HAD to have a Telecaster, so off I toddled to the local shops. Tried a few Teles, but there was just something about them that wasn't quite right....I ended up buying a Squier Custom Tele, which felt and sounded perfect....to me, anyway. Fast forward to 2007, and I'm looking for a second custom Tele put the old one in open G and set it up for slide, keep the new one for standard. Ended up buying a MIM Tele that I fell in love with at first sight! Tried a couple of more expensive guitars, but the Tele felt RIGHT....and still does! Everyone who's tried it says what a dream it is to play....

So the moral of the story, try before you buy - you'll know EXACTLY what you're getting!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote