Clear all

Epiphone LP on Ebay

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@sullivandf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Check this link out. Anyone ever seen anything like this before? Is it really an Epi LP Custom? It looks odd to me. I'm looking for a cheap guitar that I can "tinker" with and spend some time customizing but I'd like to know what I'm getting.

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7340858977&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It says Epiphone on it so lets assume it is an Epiphone but I have never seen an LP with that bridge. They say it is a LP Custom but I have also never seen a LP Custom that looked like that either. Maybe they just mean custom made or something or I have just never seen one.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Looks like a great guitar. I haven't seen one at a store before, but as you know Gibson owns Epiphone, so it must be a entry level Les Paul.

I don't think you can lose too much on it.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

There are a TON of these les paul variations that look so close to each other and the price varies as much as the models. If you go to harmony central and look for epiphone les paul models, you will see how overwhelming the number of les paul guitars they made is.

You need to find out its worth.

For a very old guitar starting at a 200 dollar bid that could be a 100 dollar guitar or a 500 dollar guitar...some homework is in order. If it was played heavily over the years, some of the common fret bars could have flat spots and be too low. Not a big deal if the guitar is worth something to you to have work done on it....just expect it needing something being old. But there is always the chance that it was stuffed in a closet for 10 years too and it could be mint! My point is it is hard to tell from some low resolutions pictures.

I just bought an old Cort strat for 85 bucks knowing I would likely work on it and I am working on it. This guitar will get much work and mods, money and time I do not mind investing, I always have some sort of project I am working on. I have a need to take things apart. Last year I finished building a motorcycle from nothing but a frame and a picture in my mind. Projects are kool.

Anyway......an educated and patient bidder gets a good deal. I would do some homework on this particular guitar.

8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

The body shape looks more like an Agile LP knock off, but that is certainly an Epiphone headstock on it. The main thing that worries me is no photo of the serial number. There's only 7 hours left on the auction, but maybe you could contact the seller and ask for a serial.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I tend to think that it is not an Epi. There are several reasons for this:
- I have never seen either an Epi or a Gibson neck made from maple - all the ones that I've ever seen are mahogany (possible exception maybe the ES335 in "Natural" finish).
- I've yet to see either Gibson or Epi put a stomach cutout on the rear of the body
- the "horn" on the cutout ends too far back - the real thing goes much further forward.
- the only LPs from the Gibson ranch that have bolt on necks are the very low end - Epi Special or 100. All the Customs I've seen have set necks.
- the pickup selector switch is normally on the upper part of the body, not down by the tone/volume controls

This is not to say that it can't be an Epi or a Gibson - I just don't think that it is.

PS the bridge is pretty suspicious as is the locking nut (and the space it has - the bell cover to the truss rod appears tailored to fit up to the locking nut, rather than a normal nut)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Yeah, the lower cutout is all wrong. I'm betting somebody cut the face off an Epi headstock and stuck it on the front of that neck.

It also appears to have active EMG pickups, not soap bars as described.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@sullivandf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all. I tend to agree with you and I think I'll steer clear of this one. Would anybody out there know a good place to find older, more "broken in" guitars that would be good "project" guitars? Something that could be had for cheap and restored? Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Well ebay really is a good place to find what you are looking for.

Just take your time and the right guitar will show up, you just want to avoid guitars that have been butcherized.

This is the guitar I just got.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7338762445&category=2384

It is in very good physical condition and all it really needed was a new nut , tightening all the hardware, a fresh set of strings and some decent adjustments.

I have a custom pickguard being made and some electronics on the way but these are things that are optional. I thought I would need tuners but so far they are not giving me any trouble.

There is fret wear and if I turn out to really like this guitar a lot, I will change them too and go a size higher, it will be an easy one with no binding to deal with.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Thanks all. I tend to agree with you and I think I'll steer clear of this one. Would anybody out there know a good place to find older, more "broken in" guitars that would be good "project" guitars? Something that could be had for cheap and restored? Thanks

Well, there's a chain I know of called Music-go-Round, I don't know if they're local to Utah or what. They basically specialize in trade-in's/used gear.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

Try RondoMusic.net They sell new guitars for cheap, and I have heard several people say the quality is good. I ordered the SX GG1 Supreme and it's supposed to be here tommorrow!!! Woohoo! When I get it I'll get on here and post feedback.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Well, there's a chain I know of called Music-go-Round, I don't know if they're local to Utah or what.

We have one of those here in Oklahoma City too. Atleast we used to. Not sure if they are still around or not.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

Got my guitar guitar yesterday, it's looks good. For the price, ($170 with shipping), this is a quality guitar. It has a light action on it, lighter than my first cheap electric anyway, so I have to get used to that as opposed to my acoustic.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote