Clear all

Epiphone SG Question

27 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

From the Bigbsy FAQ!

Question: How do I install a Bigsby Vibrato?

Answer: Bigsbys generally attach at the butt end of the guitar with 3 small screws.

* Remove the strings and the original tailpiece from your guitar.
* Find the centerline of the guitar and mark the butt end.
* Align the center of the Bigsby with this mark.
* Attach the Bigsby Vibrato using the supplied screws.
* Replace the strings and you are ready to go.

And that is where I disagree - if you are going to spend $300+ for an Epiphone SG I think you should look at getting a used Gibson SG for $500 - 600 (faded series). Why? A number of reasons... namely that if a beginner is serious about playing he or she should get the most guitar for the money. I won't say that a Gibson is easier to play than an Epi - may not be the case - but in MOST situations a better guitar (ie, more expensive) will play easier than an entry-level instrument. IN addition, if you hate playing the guitar you can get your money back with a Gibson. You take a hit on the Epi.

With that said, I think an Epi can be a wonderful instrument. Many of the newer Epi's come with Grover tuners, although they are now made in China. If you can find a deal on a used Epi from Korea it would be worth it. Throw in some Gibson pickups and get a good setup.

You make some good points, but Gibson quality is down, and even if he finds a used one, it still mightn't be old enough to fall into the days of better quality. A used Gibson would be great, if he was lucky enough to find a good one at a good price, but that is easier said then done.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@captain-kalooba)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks thats really helpful

Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free. - Jim Morrison

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

A friend of mine got a Epi LP but the tone was lacking, so he up graded the pups and the difference was amazing :D Its one of the sweetest sounding axes this side of the Mississippi 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

A friend of mine got a Epi LP but the tone was lacking, so he up graded the pups and the difference was amazing :D Its one of the sweetest sounding axes this side of the Mississippi 8)

Exactly, if you take an epi, but in some new pickups, and maybe tuners, you have a great guitar. I think it works better with Les Paul then SG's though, as the price difference in Epi-Gibson is greater in the LPs. Spend another $150-200 on an Epi, and it's a work of art.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

The Gibson should be better then the Epi. But it's probably not. Gibson quality control as of late is terrible, while Epi's is getting better, therefore briding the gap. Also, it's not smart for a beginner to get a Gibson, you won't be able to tell the difference in sounds, and playability, until your ears and fingers sharpen.

Not sure I agree with this...I own a Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus and the quality is outstanding...the wood, the finish, the electronics, the neck, etc....all top notch in the quaility department. I am sure that is not the case with every guitar gibson has made, but this particular gibson guitar has great quality.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Well, I think everyone likes to jump on the "Gibson has bad quality" bandwagon. I'm not sure why. To tell the truth, if the quality was truly that bad, they wouldn't be selling thousands of $1300 guitars every year.

I mean, honestly, if Epi and others were THAT close in fit, function, and quality for $500 - $2000 less than a Gibson, would Gibson really still be a thriving company? It doesn't make sense.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Well, I think everyone likes to jump on the "Gibson has bad quality" bandwagon. I'm not sure why. To tell the truth, if the quality was truly that bad, they wouldn't be selling thousands of $1300 guitars every year.

I mean, honestly, if Epi and others were THAT close in fit, function, and quality for $500 - $2000 less than a Gibson, would Gibson really still be a thriving company? It doesn't make sense.

I'm just speaking from personal experience, and experiences of some of my friends. Rough frets, scrathy pots, and numerous finish flaws have been very common lately. It's even gotten to the point in some stores I've been in that they recommend buying an Epi, and some upgrades as opposed to the more expensive Gibson.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

my info comes from actually seeing the drop in QC of Gibson guitars over the last few years.

i frequent the local MF and have built up a good relationship with several of the managers and salespeople that have been there for a few years. they all say the same thing, they get a lot of Gibsons returned because of quality control issues.

if you think about it it makes sense, if you are paying that much for a guitar you are more likely to look it over much more closely and probably be less willing to settle for any imperfections.

btw it's not only Gibson that has been having issues with QC, Fender and several other well known names are experiancing the same problems.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

The owner of the store I bought my Martin at, a VERY reputable store here, said he has no problems with Gibson and he can't understand why people think the quality has gone down. He LUVS Gibson--meaning I think he sells tons of them. This store only sells high quality merchandise, no Squier at this place, and it's known as the best guitar store in New York City.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Well when the frets are terrible, as are the pots, finish, wiring, and some other small details like that, it really does show a drop in quality control.

If you take the time do play through a handfull of Gibson, I'd be willing to beat that at least a few would have any number of these problems. Would you want to spend $1200 or $2000 for a guitar with that many problems, because it doesn't really seem like a good investment.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

In my experience, I have purchased 3 EPI guitars. One really sweet LP (which some have seen) and two SG's. The LP was $400, the one SG was $600 and the other was a 3 Humbucker special with all gold hardware for $500.

They all 3 are perfect. No paint flaws, no crappy sounding pickups, no cheap uncontrollable tuners or sharp frets. Every one came ready to play and sounding awesome. My lead guitarist in the band has inspected each one as well since I'm still a noob. He's very impressed with the quality of all the ones he's tried out. He owns his fathers Gibson LP and only MIA Strats. He looked at me after playing the 3 humb SG and said he may rethink his Gibson lust. :)

My first ever purchase was a Squier Strat. Paid $100 for it and sold it for the same a year later. It had a pro setup done to it after I sold it and I couldn't believe how smooth it played, even for a rosewood fretboard.

In it's place I purchased an MIA Strat Deluxe. Ordered from the factory it came in with paint chips and faulty electronics. The dealer and Fender replaced it no problem but that guitar was $1100. The replacement was perfect so I have no complaints about the way any of it was handled.

I guess all I'm saying is there is no guarantee with anything now days. I've been very lucky with my mail order purchases as well as in store buying and whether the guitar is expensive or inexpensive you can experience the same highs and lows. It's all in how you handle the situation.

I'm very pleased with my "inexpensive guitar" purchases. I'm also very happy with my expensive guitar purchase. I hope you all have the same good luck I did. Sorry to drag on....

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

All are solid comments. I would put forth, however, that I think expectations factor into this. When you buy a $400 Epi your expectations are much lower than a $1000 Gibson.

For the record, I've owned about 8 guitars in the $250 - $500 (retail) price range and they all had finish flaws. They played well, but none could be setup perfectly (by a pro). They are great guitars, but they definitely had flaws that you'd gripe about if you had paid over $500.

I've owned 3 guitars in the $600 - $1000 price range. The Fender Texas Special was MINT MINT and played like butter even without a set up. The SG was in perfect condition, when setup it was like butter, but it did need fret filing. The US Highway 1 was perfect when I received, the finish scratched easily.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2