Clear all

Equalizer...

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

My current rig is a Mexi Strat running straight into a 15 watt VOX Valvetronix amp. I like the amp, it does clean excellently. However, I find myself tweaking around with the equalizer settings on it for tone shaping, and I find that it's often not as flexible for changing the frequencies I would like to.

Enter the BOSS GE-7 eq:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=effects/search/detail/base_pid/151324/

Now, I'm thinking this will give me more control over frequency and tone. But given the overall cheapness of my current amp (I'll probably upgrade to a advt 30 or 50 later) I'm wondering if spending that much on an eq is absolutely nuts. I'm talking about amp to effect price ratio here.

Doesn't it also function as a boost pedal? I'm not buying for this feature so I'm not expecting it to be exceptional, but it works basically, right?

Anyway, am I being silly or is it worth it?

-Metaellihead

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I say egt it because you plan on getting a better amp later so you should get it, and at least youll have experience using the EQ, when you move it to the bigger amp.

Plus, you might find it works excellently wiht your current set-up

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Fish and Chips 7-Band EQ

Wes backs this pedal up with great reviews and it's got a nice price tag on it. I still haven't found one in person to buy it (I hate buying over the net, it's a pet peeve of mine.).

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hmm, I will look into that Fish 'n Chips if I can get my hands on one to demo it.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I bracket everything with an equalizer. Their rack mounted, 2 Stereo Art 341 15 band, 1 Peavey Q 215 15 band, 1 Alesis MEQ-230 , 1 Alesis DEQ-230. Combined with the two analog 5 band and 2 digital 7 bands built into the tube sound processors and the different amps tone stacks allows me to control every aspect of my signal chain. Simplicity and over kill.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

I have the boss ge-7 and I love it. Eq is always good to have although I have to say it's worth it to get a decent amp. I don't know if it's better or worse than the fish and chips one though (I got the boss one for $35 off of ebay).

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I also have a fish n chips. No complaints.

You will want to get a powersupply for it. It will come with one battery though. 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

looks like a toss up bettween the fish n chips and the Boss GE7.

Ive got the Boss. it's great. really help shape my tone. versitile too as I play several differnt instruments, ...lap steel, pedal steel, strat, tele, oud.

and it is a great treble boost. just stomp on it for your lead and you;ll step right out of the mix and blow em all away.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I bought my Fish'nChips over the internet, but they were cold when I got them..................

Er, sorry, wrong thread ....

Mine came with the original Danelectro battery inside it - no complaints at all.

I've got a Surf'n'Turf compressor to complement it.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Got the Behringer EQ700. It works, and doesn't cost much. ($19). For heavy duty work you might want to take a look at the more sturdier pedals but for basic home usage they are fine.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Got the Behringer EQ700. It works, and doesn't cost much. ($19). For heavy duty work you might want to take a look at the more sturdier pedals but for basic home usage they are fine.

For some strange reason, this pedal is not carried by the major US music shops like musiciansfriend.com or zzsounds.com, but shows up in banna music and bhphotovideo if I google it ..

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I paid a visit to guitar center the other day, the GE-7 was the only EQ they had. There's one other shop within reasonable distence to me, I'll have to check there...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote