Clear all

Need to fix my bridge

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So yesterday I broke the 1st string on the one guitar I have with me. Since I had all strings but the high-e strings spare I just removed all but the 6th string and replaced them with the 2nd-6th string of the set. So that gets me to this setup: .013, .017, .026, .036, .046, .049

So obviously the bridge doesn't like it very much (classic vibrato bridge) and is at a pretty nasty angle. Now the weird thing is that adjusting the screws at the back had only minimal effect. It stays in tune decently, plays ok (although the action and intonation ain't spot on) but looks downright silly and really needs to be fixed. It already has three springs and I ain't have more around the house, music stores closed till tuesday.

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

If it plays good that all that matter!!

The bridge screws not doing to much makes me wonder though, I don't know enough about setting to say anything, but that sounds very strange to me. So it looks like Im a typing contradiction.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, sincet he bridge is so high the action is really absurd at the upper frets, and it doesn't help for correct tuning either. So I can play it, but it could be way better. The springs made me wonder as well, did it a few times before and never saw much like this. Kinda makes me wonder if cheap springs can get some kind of metal fatique or something, although I only have had this guitar for two years or so.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

3 springs are never going to handle that amount of stress. You've effectively got a "heavy top, light bottom" set of 13's. Go up from 9's to 11's and you're going to need to add at least one more spring and for 13's I would think you will need the full complement of 5 springs.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with the springs you've got.
Let's say a spring is rated at 30Kg - once you get past that amount, it's going to get stretched. As far as the spring is concerned, it may as well be fixed to a brick wall.
Adjusting the screws is just altering the amount of stretch.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

and strecthed out springs wears them too fast, which makes them like a miniature slinky toy

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Arjen-

Unless you adjusted the saddles, the intonation is probably way off as well. Simple suggestion: Drop your tuning by a half or whole step 'til you can change he strings or get more springs. And then adjust the intonation, as it likely will be off (though less than currently) with increased gauges even when the bridge is re-leveled.

Good luck with it. -Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Greybeard: thanks, guess I need some springs then.
Greg: Definitely not intonated properly. Way definitely...

ReplyQuote