Clear all

etiquette for Cd sales

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

When you are at a party of people who are not 'music associated' - people who know you outside of your musicianship - what do you do if you think that many of them would probably buy your CD if they knew that you had CDs of your music available for sale?
I sold one CD to one person which gave me the idea that maybe more in that crowd would be interested but I found it difficult to approach each one inviting them to buy my CD.
The person who bought the CD from me did it incidentally while we were talking about ourselves. It wasn't an intentional sell. It was incidental.
After the Xmas party I felt 'stupid' for not mentioning my CD to more people in that crowd. I also felt that doing so may have been perceived as too aggressive.
So, what do other members of GN think? Do you pitch your CDs to whoever you can wherever you are or is there a time and a place for it?
Also, on one occasion I sold a Cd to an audience member at a gig that I was invited to share the stage at. The hostess later told me that she did not want to 'front' for me. Apparently she doesn't make Cds of her own work and has no intention of doing so.
So what is the etiquette concerning Cd sales?

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.
Harmonics - The buzzing sound that string instruments make.
Impromptu - A carefully worked out composition.

(@evilspudboy)
Trusted Member

If you had a web site where people could listen to clips of your music and buy your CD then you could print out business cards with the Web Address on it. When you are talking to people at a party, you can mention to them that if they are interested they can hear samples of your music on your site and hand them a card. It's a more low key approach.

If they are interested, they will order a CD.

I also know that If I've made a personal connection with someone, and they made a good impression on me, that if I later saw that they had a cd for sale, I'd probably be likely to buy it.

Also if your site had a mailing list they could sign up for, then you have a way to notify people about gigs.

Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it you play the guitar on the MTV

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I already have a site to listen to samples but the thing with that is someone who's bought a CD could say, "Oh, I didn't have to buy a CD when I could go to the website and listen to the samples."

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

If the party is at your place, then obviously you can sell whatever you want. But if it's a social gathering at some other place, then I'd refrain from bringing them into the building - but you can have a crate of them in your car! Business cards are also a good idea, with a link to your website and your email address. Phone and street address can be problematic, especially if you're female.

On your website, you should limit the length of the samples to about 30 seconds, including part of the chorus. Or give them one complete song, but hold back on the rest. You want to entice them to buy the whole CD.

As for CDs at a gig, if you're playing, then it is perfectly reasonable to have your CD and sell it. No host should complain about that, so long as you don't ask them to sell them when you're not there.

And of course, post your website in the Hear Here forum above, if you haven't already.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

At a new-year party I wouldnt start about it myself, but if someone starts a conversation it is ok to mention it if you ask me. You aren't as much trying to take money from them as you are trying to give them something you worked hard for.

ReplyQuote
(@omega)
Estimable Member

Basically, I find it is ok to sell whenever you get the chance. As long as you do it in a polite manner, i.e, not as soon as seeing someone say "Hey, want to buy a CD?" but drop it into conversation, like, if someone asks you what you've been doing, saying "Well, I just recorded a CD with my band.." is perfectly fine. Manners get you everywhere in the World. :)

That said, the best idea is to have website info to direct people to, take a few copies to each gig you do, always at your gigs plug yourselves. "Hey, we're selling CD's after the gig" etc.

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

I definitely agree with the other guys in the thread - there are limits to how much you should plug your music, but if it comes up in conversation, I'd recommend you do what my friend Eric does.

Keep three or four sampler CD's of your music on you at parties, or wherever you go, like a business card. (like 3 tracks off of your CD, I believe back in the day, before I was born, they used to call them "singles" ;)) If you start talking to somebody about your music, give them one of those, make sure it has your website address on it, and give them a chance to check it out / buy a CD online. Caveat Empor and all that.

And as for gigs, well, definitely what Omega said. If you have CD's to sell, after the show's the time to sell them, as well as other merch, like T-shirts and such.

Good luck, keep rockin'!

-Rodya

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Why don't you just play some of the tracks off your cd at the party, intermingled with other stuff?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I don't get the impression he was actually playing at the event in question.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

You should give us a link to your website or put it in your profile or whatever, (or wherever you have samples/information posted). Some of us may be interested. (Or are we not as worthy as your party friends. :lol: )

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Whoa, I've made it into someone's sig 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Now me and J Lo have something in common! She can't get her arse through the door and I get my head through!! Thanks undercat.

"We will now return to our normal posting schedule - thank you"

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've already posted on GN that my songs can be heard at http://www.Cdbaby.com/dawnmusic . It's a first-time studio recording and needs post-production polish of course. I've been looking around for a nice, warm studio with collaboration for the next recording session. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
I could hand out Cd samplers without feeling 'out of line'. That's a good idea, Rodya but a bit more work.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

You can put your website into your profile, and the little "www" button will show up at the bottom of every one of your posts.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

If this is your passion then I think there would be few places that you wouldn't want to do this like at church, at a funeral, maybe in a hospital, but anywhere else any other time why not.

Most people that make it do it on determination and persistence, and if your trying to get your name/music out there I would use any and all methods of promoting your CD.

Some people might be offended, whatever, as long as what your doing is legal go ahead and promote it when ever/ where ever you can.

Just my two cents.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote