Clear all

Ever have problems tuning?

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I don't know what it is, but I have problems tuning. By the time I tune the 5th string to "A" it snaps and breaks. Same goes for the 3rd string going for D. Which means I have to settle for G for the 5th stringe and C for the 3rd string. I don't really mind, but I'm curious to know what I'm doing wrong here.

Is it simply because I'm not giving it enough slack? I feel like I am...but maybe not.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i don't know. it's pretty hard to pop an A string. maybe you're tuning them an octave too high or something.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

you are either an octave too high, or you have burrs in your saddle, nut or tuning post. or any combination of all 3. where do the strings break? is it electric or acoustic? do you have an electronic tuner? what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

you are either an octave too high, or you have burrs in your saddle, nut or tuning post. or any combination of all 3. where do the strings break? is it electric or acoustic? do you have an electronic tuner? what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Well, it depends on whether it's an African or European Swallow.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@meebit)
Eminent Member

Is there a headwind or a tail wind or a crosswind? Or no wind?
What altitude is the swallow flying? What is the airtemp at ground level?
Is the swallow tired or rested? Is it carrying a worm or anything in it's beak?

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

it's carrying coconuts

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you tune to middle C on the piano.
do you have a tuner? your magic number is 440.

I have a feeling you are winding your strings too high.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

My first thought is that you are indeed not giving the strings enough slack before you start winding them. When I first restrung my guitar, I made the mistake of pulling the strings quite taught before I started winding; so of course when I did start winding, they would snap.

Now when I restring my guitar, I make it so that I have to do a good 1 to 1.5 full turns of the tuning peg before the string is tight enough to not have to hold it in place with my hand, taking another 1.5 to 2 turns to bring it up to tune.

If you are really struggling and can't seem to get it yourself, take your guitar down to your local shop and ask them if they will restring it for you while you watch how to do it.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

My first thought is that you are indeed not giving the strings enough slack before you start winding them. When I first restrung my guitar, I made the mistake of pulling the strings quite taught before I started winding; so of course when I did start winding, they would snap.

Now when I restring my guitar, I make it so that I have to do a good 1 to 1.5 full turns of the tuning peg before the string is tight enough to not have to hold it in place with my hand, taking another 1.5 to 2 turns to bring it up to tune.
A quick tip for that is to pull them through the tuning peg, so that they're straight, then pull them back out about an inch and a half and start winding from there. That'll give you about three turns around the peg when it's tuned up, which is just about right.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

you tune to middle C on the piano.
do you have a tuner? your magic number is 440.
Except that 440 Hz should be the A above Middle C.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Same goes for the 3rd string going for D.

What do you mean? The 3rd string is G not D - unless you're counting them back to front - or even worse, putting them on back to front. That would explain it

Trick question!! - African swallows are European swallows. They fly from Europe to Africa in winter. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, you count the string numbers from the smallest, highest pitched one up to the lowest, biggest one. But the pitches for a tuning are usually given in order from lowest to highest, as in EADGBE.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Meh, it was a mental lapse. I meant the 4th string.

And I don't know if I'm tuning them too tight. Should you tune them until it gets to the point where it's a little 'tougher' to turn the tuner? I thought so...

btw it's an electric...squier '51

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Meh, it was a mental lapse. I meant the 4th string.

And I don't know if I'm tuning them too tight. Should you tune them until it gets to the point where it's a little 'tougher' to turn the tuner? I thought so...

btw it's an electric...squier '51

It's not at all about the perception of the tightness of the tuning key -- rather it is about the string being true in pitch, measureable by a tuner. When the string is properly in tune, the tension of the string and the tightness of the tuning key will be correct (barring a problem with the tuning key, or course).

I've forgotten if you said you have an electronic chromatic tuner? If not, I believe there are online tuning tones.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I have one. maybe i'm tning it too tough or something.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2