Expensive Coated St...

Notifications
Clear all

Expensive Coated Strings

19 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@damienl)

I have a 12 string and I went years without trying Elixirs (have you seen the price of a pack of 12 string elixirs?!), and I just put elixirs on a couple weeks ago and I have actually noticed a difference in tone.
The ones I got were lighter gauge than what I had on my guitar before, but the elixirs had much more of a sharp, wooden tone to me. I think I had light gauge d'addario on before and they were quite mellow and soft, and the elixirs seem quite loud and wooden to me.
I like them just fine though.

ReplyQuote
(@abbottcl)

I started out using D'addario phosphor bronze then switched to Martin SP's which I thought were great. I gave Elixirs a try when I purchased my Taylor (which comes with shiny new Elixirs) and I haven't looked back. Of course I haven't tried Elixirs on the same guitar as the Martin's and D'addario's but ...
I am sold on the durability and the tunability of them. I play for 1-2 hours each day and the Taylor stays in tune for about a week. Is it the Taylor or the Elixirs, I don't know, but I'm sticking with the Elixirs. As for the guy who keeps breaking strings, try a heavier gauge next time.

That's my 2 cents worth.

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

I use 13's

ReplyQuote
(@jetsolo)
Estimable Member

Just a quick question on strings...

Would Daddario Exp Lights (EXP 16) be considered low - mid - or high end strings...?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2