Clear all

F & G chord fingering?

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I was just wondering if anybody else does this. When I'm playing a C chord and switch to an F, I usually fret 11233 instead of just 1123 so I really do an F/C, and then if it goes to G I'll slide it up and do a G/D. I don't know how I picked up that habit, but it just seems to work well for me when I fingerpick.
Eric

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Nothing wrong with that technique at all.

Bet it sounds good, too.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Definitely a good little lick to have under your fingers, no doubt! And if you want a D after that C, you can just slide it up two more frets, I use that one quite a bit as well :smile:

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have been doubling up my lower strings like that once I began playing Cash tunes.
try to articulate those notes and hear the difference.
yes, by all means continue.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I was just wondering if anybody else does this. When I'm playing a C chord and switch to an F, I usually fret 11233 instead of just 1123 so I really do an F/C, and then if it goes to G I'll slide it up and do a G/D. I don't know how I picked up that habit, but it just seems to work well for me when I fingerpick.
Eric
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, but do you really mean 33211, rather than 11233? Chord fingerings are usually represented left to right, low E string to high.

Maybe actually 133211, since the first fret is most likely barred whether or not you strum the sixth string, and the sixth string is another F, the chord root. Or X33211 if you are not fretting the sixth string at all, to give orientation to the strings.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. Still a beginner and not to be trusted 100%.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Eric
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, but do you really mean 33211, rather than 11233? Chord fingerings are usually represented left to right, low E string to high.

Maybe actually 133211, since the first fret is most likely barred whether or not you strum the sixth string, and the sixth string is another F, the chord root. Or X33211 if you are not fretting the sixth string at all, to give orientation to the strings.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. Still a beginner and not to be trusted 100%.

Margaret

I probably got it backwards or upside down, I was starting with the hi E and not playing the lo E, it just seems that it gives me an optional bass note to pick.

Eric :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

it works.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

What ? You don't have a "pinkie?"

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

What ? You don't have a "pinkie?"

I use the pinkie for the A string. One of the rare instances where I use it.

Eric

ReplyQuote