Faster than 16th notes

13 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

A question.

Can any of you play faster than 8th notes per beat ( as fast as a 4 syllable word ) per beat ? I mean at a reasonable pulse.

I can play like that while changing notes ( as in a scale, moving up a scale at 4 notes per beat ) and I mean picking each one of them, hammers and pull offs are cheating.

I can play 16th notes per beat but just on one note, can anyone of you change notes while playing 16th notes ??? ( again at a reasonable pulse)

Just curious I guess, idk it seems impossible, but maybe by this time next year I will be doing that, who knows, the sky is the limit.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

yes

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

damn O_O, so what do you do, normal alternate picking ? or do you use sweep picking ?

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I use sweep picking at times, but usually alternate or economy picking.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Economy picking ? never heard that one before.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If I pick a note with a downstroke, and the next note I want is in the same direction, I also play it with a downstroke (like a sweep). But if the next note is on the same string, or in the opposite direction, it gets an upstroke.

I learned it as "economy" picking because it gives you economy of motion in your picking hand. Some people call it "directional" picking, because the direction you're currently moving affects the choice of stroke for the next note.

It's basically a combination of sweeping and alternate picking.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Interesting, I am going to practice that!

Thanks.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Fraid so. There's a lot of stuff I can't do (that I'll bet noteboat can) but I was into Iron Maiden as a teen...

I wouldn't worry so much about fast though- if you're playing slower riffs cleanly, just keep playing them- a little faster at a time. But as long as it's clean...they will get faster.

Any particular riffs you're interested in?

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yep, accuracy is far more important. And honestly, you don't need that much speed - if you can do 8th notes at 200bpm you can handle 99% of all tunes. Only bebop, speed metal, and some bluegrass really require you to go faster... don't forget that you'll actually be able to do little bursts faster than your 'maximum' speed, and decorations like hammer-ons and pull-offs let you exceed your picking maximum too. Oh, and any distortion can make it seem like you're playing faster than you are.

If you practice diligently and pay attention to what you're doing, you can get decent speed in just a few months, even if you're starting from scratch.

IMO it's a lot more important to play well than to play fast. There are already too many fast guitarists with no sense of timing, dynamics, or melodic line. The world doesn't need any more of them :)

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Nah, I never pay much attention to speed, hammer-ons and pull-offs make me sound faster xD, yeah, timing is soooo important.

Speed comes with time Ive been told, well sure if I practice speed then speed will come faster but Im not that interested in speed, just curious.

Ive been told my improvisation sounds like a written solo O_O, like if It was a song I played all the time, I guess theory really gets into your head, melodic solo I think is what David called it in one of his lessons, I never really aspired to do melodic solos, but thats what comes out of my fingers, what I think I should do instead of trying to focus on speed is to embrace melodic solos, just go with the flow.

Its just my friend does really awesome slashing solos, and one usually doesnt appreciate what one does, so I wanted to do that! but now that I can kinda do one of those, Im not really feeling it, and when I just let myself relax I tend to use my sustain to my advantage.

Well I just let myself rant on, thanks for the answers anyways :D.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i can get my left hand doing scales at 16ths at 220 bpm, although i can't keep up with my right hand.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

i can get my left hand doing scales at 16ths at 220 bpm, although i can't keep up with my right hand.

Another question might be...how often do you need (or want) to play 16th notes at 22O bpm? I mean, that's REALLY fast!

If you really DO want to, though....play whatever you want to play, at 160, or 180, or whatever you can do clean. And play it a LOT. Keeping the rhythm steady, not speeding up. Then after a few days, add 5 or 10 BPM. If you can play it clean, stay there, and repeat. If not, go back and keep practicing.

If you have time and an metronome, speed will come.

(Playing well, on the other hand, I won't offer any advice about. Still getting there.)

But remember, just because it's fast doesn't mean anybody wants to listen to it.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i'm not one of those guys that competes with his metronome. i just timed myself one day. i could probably go faster.

ReplyQuote