Skip to content
Fear or Impatience?...

Notifications
Clear all

Fear or Impatience? (kind of long and rambling)

24 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm all for taking up the recorder barring all else coming to fruition. :lol:
One note from one of those could induce Migraine of enormous magnitude. We're talking finger numbness, massive head pain, visual aura, windows open with blinds shut and full body flinches at every little noise. That, and my son whistling. Poor kid.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Trust me Roy I haven't won anything. I guess the palying with other people is the best part, not sure how motivated I would be without that going on.

As for Open Mics, I don't know, they don't do much for me. I played three or four times and actually sang a few songs once or twice.

I didn't really feel nervous, to a small degree I did I would be lying if I said I didn't but it's weird I've had more "panic attack" type moments in my basement when one of my friends drops in when we are practicing and I'm doing anything that stands out from the band. We play the song Badge by Cream and right before it gets to the solo one guitar starts playing these arrpegiated chords (I guess that's what it's called) under the solo. IT's really not that difficult just alot of string skipping and for the longest time I'd get nervous as he## that I'd miss a string and I usually did. One night one of my friends came by that never heard us play and he walked in when we were playing that song and I got such and uncontrolable case of the hibbie gibbies my arm almost locked up I was so nervous. I didn't mess it up to bad but man I was shaking and it was not a good feeling. didn't experience anything like that at the Open mics, maybe because I didn't know anyone there and could care less what they thought of my playing.

But I'm not a big fan of the open mic thing. They are OK once in awhile but I would never make it a regular thing. If I'm going to play out I want it to be with the band.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm all for taking up the recorder barring all else coming to fruition. :lol:
One note from one of those could induce Migraine of enormous magnitude. We're talking finger numbness, massive head pain, visual aura, windows open with blinds shut and full body flinches at every little noise. That, and my son whistling. Poor kid.

Well, I flunked recorder in grammar school so I thought I might try it again. But since you mention migraines, no thanks. Topamax or not. I get ocular migraines, but they verge on going full-blown. Once I had a full-blown. I could not understand anything, I could not express myself (aphasia). I thought I was having a stroke. At first I was afraid I was dying; then as the pain came and intensified I was afraid I wasn't dying.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Gosh! Sorry about the migraines. Inderal/Propranolol is sometimes prescribed for that, and I think it is very effective.

To make this musical, is does not affect performance. It actually helps as a beta-blocker, reducing performance anxiety.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've heard of those. Topamax (topiramate) is a preventative. It's used as an anti-epileptic and as a mood stabilizer in bipolar also. It's a jack-of-all-trades. Supposedly those three conditions have the same origins deep in the brain. Of course, they don't call Topamax "Dopamax" or "Stupamax" for nothing. It's downside is that it can make you dumber than a box of rocks. A Pop Tart... fruit filling for brains. :lol: Seriously, it makes you fumble for words like a constant "gee it's on the tip of my tongue". And spell checker has become my friend.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I get ocular migraines, but they verge on going full-blown. Once I had a full-blown. I could not understand anything, I could not express myself (aphasia). I thought I was having a stroke. At first I was afraid I was dying; then as the pain came and intensified I was afraid I wasn't dying.
Yup, you know all about it. Only one who's been there understands. Yeah, none of those things worked for me either. Would have been nice. Anti-biotics and pain meds. One keeps the really nasty episodes down (antibiotics) and the other keeps things bearable.

But back to music, again,

cnev, I think playing in the band is a really impressive thing. Just jamming with my friend or my son every few weeks gives me the jitters. As far as open mics, I've never done one. I don't think I could, and I'd sure as heck never played in a band. Well, aside from my son and friend. I remember about two years ago out front on the eays chair I was hanging out with my accoustic and practicing a song. A neighbor came out and my voice went totally flat. I think I could play though, and yes, I would get a panic attack too. :(

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member

When playing live,my motto is "Keep It Simple Stupid!".This helps me to be in a comfort zone. I don't like songs with long solo's.I guess that's why the Beatle's appeal to me.One of my favorite songs to do is "Here comes the Sun" and "Thank You" by Led Zepelin.Very easy chords and and a little solo.Playing solo limits your choices of songs,but keeping it simple you don't have to go to your maximum playing skills.My thoughts are always pick good songs,ones the audience can relate too,not guitar players.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

one day all the practice and learning and theory will coalesce and you'll just be able to play a whole bunch of those songs you want to learn bang off the bat without a lot of effort. it looks like it's already starting to happen.
unless i'm really focused on a particular song, or if it's got a lot to it, if i can't get it within a couple passes, i don't even worry about it. i figure i'll be able to play it some time down the road, and it's usually been true.
most modern songs are like a bunch of other songs, and most of them are fairly simple in nature. it's rock n roll, not brain surgery. there's a reason keef/slash/whoever can kill mountains of booze/pills/drugs and still play a set.

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

.../ unless i'm really focused on a particular song, or if it's got a lot to it, if i can't get it within a couple passes, i don't even worry about it. i figure i'll be able to play it some time down the road, and it's usually been true. /...

I use this approach as well; if it seems to complicated at the moment it probably is and I don´t spend to much time on it, just lay it aside for a while ang get back to it a bit further down the line. That also makes for a great reward, when you pick it up some time later - learn it straight up and down and just think - why was that so hard six months ago :D

I keep about 20-30 songs in my head that I play more or less daily, as a finishing move to my daily practise routine. And I´ve come to notice that this is about my limit number-wise, so ususally when I learn something new, I seem to play less and less of some of the "earlier" songs that I´ve learnt, until I stop playing them altogether. (Although, some of the most simplistic ones are also the ones that I love the most, so I´m keeping them on forever 8) ). I try to find new songs that keeps pushing my skills so they tend to get just a little more complicated all the time.

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2