Clear all

Fender "Made in Korea" setnecks

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Any have any experience with the recent Fender set-neck guitars made in Korea? They are called the "Showmaster" series and they are also some in the "Esquire" series. They have binding, set necks, abalone dots, odd paint-jobs (sliver and gold on some, racing stripes on others) and usually just have one or two humbuckers (not the usually 3-pickups for strats). They come in "super strat" shape and Tele shapes, with no pickguards.

Any ideas? The ones I've seen have come with Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio pickups, or the Fender Atomic humbuckers. I'm thinking about picking one up. Not sure. They seem well made, and are relatively inexpensive for a Fender-branded product (not Squier). Looks like you can get them fro $300 - 450.

The ones I was looking at were the Esquire Goltop (Dimarzios), the Silver Celtic Strat or Esquire, or the all-black version.

Thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

no experience with Fender but i have a PRS made in korea and it's fabulous. very high quality in every way; sounds great. i'm very happy with it. makes no difference to me that it's made in korea.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i have a Fender Korean acoustic and it's nothing to get excited about. sounds plunky. looks stupendous though.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I had the Blackout Tele which was Korean made and had a set-neck. I thought, for the price, it was a very well made guitar. It sounded great too but had US made Seymour's in it so that was understandable. It was a rock and roll machine!

For someone looking for that, I'd recommend them.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Crank - that was the one you sold here, correct? Yeah, I mean these things are going for less than $350 on eBay so I thought it might be worth taking a look at. They look like top-notch guitars. I expecially like the gold-top tele with abalone dots and Dimarzio cream humbuckers. I also like the Silver Celtic Strat.

If I remember correctly, Musician's Friend was blowing them out at one point with a hardcase for $300-400 new.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Yup, that was the one I traded for my Splattercaster Strat.

I've not seen that goldtop tele, but it sounds interesting. Links?

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Sure,

Here is the Esquire GT

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM03/Content/Fender/PR/Esquire-Custom-GT.html

Here is the Esquire Celtic

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM03/Content/Fender/PR/Esquire-Custom-Celtic.html

The Showmaster Celtic

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM03/Content/Fender/PR/Showmaster-Celtic-H.html

I can't find the Gold Top Tele with Dimarzios...

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

If I remember correctly, Musician's Friend was blowing them out at one point with a hardcase for $300-400 new.

Exactly correct! It was about a year ago, after Fender had stopped making them. If only I had the money at the time...

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Interesting looking guitars. The one I really wanted to see was that goldtop though. :)

Mine didn't come with a hardcase or even a bag. I got it for $249 after a $50 MF coupon was subtracted. It was a steal at that price. Only reason I got rid of it was that it sounded too much like my Les Paul (which I won't sell since it was a gift from my fiancee).

I say if you can find one for around $300, jump on it.

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

FYI, found this on eBay. Currently at a very good price too.

Goldtop Tele

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Just bought myself a Fender acustic/electric

made in China sounds awesome

no complaints here

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yes!!! That's the one!! Thanks, I'm watching it!

Also, here is the Strat version.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-SHOWMASTER-HH-2003-MINT-Cond-Gold-Top-Finish_W0QQitemZ7407995089QQcategoryZ33039QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I REALLY like those. I love the fact the sides, back and neck aren't painted. If they are anything like my Blackout, they should be great players.

I'd jump on that Tele if I where you though. Two days left will obviously increase the price, but I bet you could still get it for under $300.

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

A couple of pictures of the Goldtop Tele.

[/url]

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote