Clear all

fender question

17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey..I Really love the look of the Telecaster..but something about the neck and headstock..i dont like..Is there any reason that i CANT put the neck of a stratocaster on to a tele???

"im the one who has to die when its time for me to die..so let me live my life, the way i want to.."-Jimi Hendrix-If 6 was 9

Paul Y Howdilly doodily neigborini!!

(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

The shape of the umm... thing that goes in the part on the body (i forget the name) is different between teles and strats i believe. You could fit it for it though with the proper tool.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Why not buy a strat and replace the pick-up's? No?

A tele, is a tele for a reason. If you want to mix it up.... Go for it! But, I think if you "test" out enough Tele's you will find the one you are looking for.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Izzy is correct: The neck pockets are shaped differently -- one (Strat, IIRC) has rounded corners that are matched by its intended neck, the other is squared-off (again, like its neck). But adaptations are done by re-shaping the pocket and sometimes the pick guard. I believe Warmouth sells swappable necks.

Or you could go with a 70's model Tele Deluxe:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/511141/

However, this is not known as the best of the Teles. Play before you buy.

BTW, different Teles have very different neck profiles, from baseball bat thick to fairly Strat-like. I used to be a Tele headstock hater -- but it's grown on me.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Yeah, the Tele headstock seems a little small and weak, but a good Tele can really jam. I have played different ones, too and they can definitely sound and play differently. Fender seems to have about half a dozen new models. Some are reissues and some are vintage. I'd reather have a Tele than a Strat, though.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You can buy a Tele neck from Warmoth, Rockinger, or whoever with an unfinished headstock ("paddle") so that you can cut your own shape.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The Tele head is the way it is cos when they came out in 1952 Maple was scarce and expensive, so Fender had to get two necks out of every bit of wood.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

BTW, different Teles have very different neck profiles, from baseball bat thick to fairly Strat-like. I used to be a Tele headstock hater -- but it's grown on me.

-Greg

Its not the thickness of the necks it is the headstock i like the strats C shaped headstoch rather than the teles weird little hump thing on the bottom there...i jus thought it would look cool and be diffrent..i love being diffrent

"im the one who has to die when its time for me to die..so let me live my life, the way i want to.."-Jimi Hendrix-If 6 was 9

ReplyQuote
(@alexk)
Eminent Member

I wouldn't worry about the headstock that much. It seems like a big deal when you're looking to buy the guitar, but once you get it you won't care anymore (because Telecasters are some of the coolest guitars on earth). I don't think it's worth the trouble to buy a custom-fitted neck because you don't like the headstock. And btw, I've seen a few Teles with Strat headstocks, they look kind of awkward.

ReplyQuote
(@hobsonator)
Trusted Member

Real men dig Telecasters. I have a 52 reissue and I like it just the way it is.

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

...and here I was hoping to find a Strat with a Tele neck.

ReplyQuote
(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Real men dig Telecasters. I have a 52 reissue and I like it just the way it is.

Are you insinuating that i am not a real man? :shock:

Im glad you are fond of your Telecaster but i do not think its necessary to question my manliness because i do not "dig" what you dig..everyone likes different things..congrats on "digging" your telecaster..i think i will change mine so that it is the way I like it.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Real men dig Telecasters.

Gimmeabreak -- a true Telemaniac says, "Real men spank the plank."

-G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

sorry. i don't know what happened here...it won't let me make my full post...

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

??? huh? :?:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2