Clear all

Finally an electric guitar!

43 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been wanting an electric guitar for ages now and I finally got one today as an early Christmas gift!

I haven't played it seriously yet cause my parents want me to wait till tomorrow to really try it out :roll: but I HAVE still tried it out a little...come on, what did they expect.

It's a Les Paul Johnson. That's the brand anyway. I'm not sure that tells anyone anything though. :P It looks good but I was just wondering what were some opinions about those kind of guitars? Good..bad?

I actually didn't take a lot of time trying it out in the shop and I'm a little worried about that but I'm comfortable holding it and it doesn't feel too hard to play compared to my old classical so that's good.

Anyway, anyone owns one of those?

By the way, merry Christmas to all! :D

(@margaret)
Noble Member

Congratulations, Puke!!!

Such cruel parents for making you wait! :twisted:

Tell them if they let you play it today, by tomorrow you can serenade them with lovely holiday carols..... :P

Enjoy your new toy!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Congrats on guitar Puke!
If you like it and it makes you want to play it is a good guitar ;-)
Chris_C has got a Johnson guitar AFAIK.

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

congratulations! Johnsons are great guitars!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on the new electric!

Don't know much about Johnson guitars, but if they play and sound as good as they look, you have a very nice guitar.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I could tell them that I'll serenade them with lovely holiday carols but all they can probably imagine is 'that damn overdrive' ;)

And it definitely makes me want to play. :D It's like I discovered guitar all over again.

Wes, I have that guitar but the colour is darker on the sides and lighter in the middle. But it's that model, yes :D

Me = happy

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Wow, that is a very pretty guitar. Congrats.. Need a brother?

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Darker? Then you have the Solara Standard model.

That's nice too, looks like a tobacco sunburst. Very nice.

Congrats, you will get some real Rock tones with those humbuckers pickups.

Merry Christmas

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Congratulations - 2007 is looking to be a fun and noisy year... :)

As Lars mentioned, I've got a Johnson hollowbody and I like it a lot.

Johnsons are one of a great many companies who basically make copies of a range of styles that were originally designed by others. There's a range of styles that have become pretty much 'industry standards' - Les Paul's, Strats, Telecasters, etc which are much copied.

Johnson seem to do as good a job as any of the 'clonemakers' - which is to say that their intruments are usually good value for what you pay. Like all the mass produced guitar makers, but especially among the copiers, you can get a variation in quality from one instrument to the next. But there's no reason that yours won't be a great guitar.

I have a friend who owns a music shop and he says that Johnsons make ideal starter electric instruments, because they're reasonable priced but still very good for the job. He's biased of course, because about half the guitars he sells are Johnsons, but his customers seem happy too which is what counts.

Have a great time with it. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey Congrats on your new GIT and Merry Christmas :)

One thing I'd have done right away, well....errr two things but you can do number 2 whilst having number 1 done... kinda like like... oooooh never mind. :roll:

Anyway, take it to a reputable shop and have them do a "Set up". Maybe even a "Deluxe" Setup of some sorts.. Checking for sharp frets, balancing the pickups etc. And.... (the No 2 part), Have them string up some 10's or 11's on that bad boy. It probably came from the factory with 9's.

That geetar is just begging for some heavier stringage. :)

Cheers
D-

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congratulations Puke!

I have my LP one month ago and I previously played a classical also. A couple of hours are enough to get accustomed to the new body. The neck needs more time! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

That Darn Overdrive sounds like a good song title to me!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Alright! Congrats. I know you've been wanting one.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hey, congratulations!

Here's an old pic of me playing with my Johnson:

(Not electric, but it's a Johnson!)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here's an old pic of me playing with my Johnson:

That doesn't sound right. :roll:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3