Clear all

another tone question

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@scottish-nutter)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i have an epiphone les paul custom with alnico 2 pick ups and a marshall dsl401 amp, iv been playing with the amp but i cant get as close as id like for songs like sweet child of mine, iv been on the slash site and iv set my amp to what it says on there and iv tried diff tone settings on the guitar, the sound i get for rythm is ok but its the lead tone i want but i cant get it, iv heard better sound on youtube with a guy that has a marshall mg, iv put up a link to a small clip of me playing the intro to sweet child and i was wondering if anyone had any idea on how i could get a closer sound to the slash sound, i know he is a better player and has better gear but should i be able to get a better sound than what i am getting?
i dont know how to get an audio clip up just this youtube link
thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaCAbpDBGQY

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Try turning gain way down for your lead tone. Inexperienced players love massive distortion, but the pros like Slash do not use nearly as much gain as you would expect. It is more volume than gain. Listen carefully and you will hear this. Slash also uses Vintage 30 speakers in his cabs which really emphasize the midrange. Try turning up Mids high on the overdrive channel, bring Lows and Highs down some. This is for this lead guitar tone.

But turn that Gain down. :roll:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@xuelong)
Eminent Member

Well said, Wes :wink: Less gain; more mids.

ReplyQuote
(@scottish-nutter)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the replys, i had the gain at just over 4 on od2 as i prefer the sound of od2 to od1 but i will try it later when the neighbours are out
thanks

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

scottish nutter

I listened to this song a few times last night because of this thread. Slash is using some sort of effect on his lead guitar, not exactly sure what. He may have been using a Wah engaged but set at one position. There is sort of a hollow sound to that tone.

You can get something similar to this with an EQ pedal by pushing every other slider to max and min. So on a 7 band EQ the sliders from left to right would be:

Max Min Max Min Max Min Max

This EQ setting will nail the tone of Tush by ZZ Top perfect. It is kinda like the famous scooped mids tone except it goes across all frequencies.

If you do not own an EQ pedal I would recommend it. Very helpful to get difficult tones, and overall fantastic to get great tones from your amp. I recommend the Danelectro model, very inexpensive but works great.

Danelectro 7 Band EQ

An EQ pedal is one of the best pedals you can own, and this is a good one.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote