Notifications
Clear all

Fingerpicking scales

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@swedetooth)
Topic starter  

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on the best way to fingerpick scales. I am finally taking the time to learn them and have just been using my thumb to pluck through them. I was just wondering if there is a better way, or some way that can benifit my overall playing as well.

Merry Christmas!

sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on the best way to fingerpick scales. I am finally taking the time to learn them and have just been using my thumb to pluck through them. I was just wondering if there is a better way, or some way that can benifit my overall playing as well.

Merry Christmas!

I use the classical method, which involves strictly alternating the picking-hand fingers (no thumb) in set patterns.
Picking hand fingers in classical are designated as i, m & a: index (i) middle (m) and ring (a) (from Spanish anular)
And the most common scale practice patterns are:

i, m
i, m a
and
i, m, a, m.

The overall benefit from this is that in real music, although you don't follow a pattern, you can play without ever using the same finger twice in succession, which increases the efficiency of the fingering.

Merry Christmas to you too :)

ReplyQuote
(@swedetooth)
Topic starter  

Thanks. That make sense. I wonder though, shouldn't I use my thumb a little somewhere?

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Thanks. That make sense. I wonder though, shouldn't I use my thumb a little somewhere?

In classical, at least as it's taught here in the UK, the thumb, p, (from Spanish pulgar) isn't used in scales. It does feature in arpeggios though. such as p, i, m, a, or p, a, m, i or other patterns, but not in scales.

One reason is that it 's slower - you can't get the speed using your thumb.

ReplyQuote
(@swedetooth)
Topic starter  

Thanks. I will give it a shot. I have tired a little already and It sure is't easy. Now I have something to work on over the christmas break.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Thanks. I will give it a shot. I have tired a little already and It sure is't easy. Now I have something to work on over the christmas break.

If you're new to fingerpicking, I'd advise just sticking to i, m for now. Get fluent in that before trying any of the three-finger patterns. That'll leave you some time to enjoy your Christmas break on more interesting and enjoyable pursuits :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Sorry for the beginner question. Then the scale is normally played? I mean, it is played, for example, C-D-E-F-G-A-B, and using the fingers in the pattern for each note, for example, for the i-m pattern something like (Ci)-(Dm)-(Ei)-(Fm) and so on.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@swedetooth)
Topic starter  

I am pretty sure that is what fretsource means. That is how i am doing it anyway. It seems to make sense.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Sorry for the beginner question. Then the scale is normally played? I mean, it is played, for example, C-D-E-F-G-A-B, and using the fingers in the pattern for each note, for example, for the i-m pattern something like (Ci)-(Dm)-(Ei)-(Fm) and so on.

Thanks!

Yes Nuno. That's exactly right.

Also if you are practising the scale ascending then descending repeatedly, make sure you hit the highest note once only. This ensures that you will arrive back at the lowest note using the same finger, ready to ascend again with exactly the same fingering, like this:

C(i) D(m) E(i) F(m) G(i) A(m) B(i) C(m) B(i) A(m) G(i) F(m) E(i) D(m) C(i) D(m) E(i) etc.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Thanks for the replies! :)

I guess the same idea is applied when you are practising three or more fingers patterns, for example, for "i m a":

C(i) D(m) E(a) F(i) G(m) A(a) B(i) C(m) B(i) A(a) G(m) F(i) E(a) D(m) C(i) D(m) E(a) etc.

And a new question. :)

Are also used the i, m, and a fingers for the 4th-6th strings? For normal fingerpicking, the thumb is used for those strings. Must only play scales using the first three strings?

Merry Christmas!

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Thanks for the replies! :)

I guess the same idea is applied when you are practising three or more fingers patterns, for example, for "i m a":

C(i) D(m) E(a) F(i) G(m) A(a) B(i) C(m) B(i) A(a) G(m) F(i) E(a) D(m) C(i) D(m) E(a) etc.

And a new question. :)

Are also used the i, m, and a fingers for the 4th-6th strings? For normal fingerpicking, the thumb is used for those strings. Must only play scales using the first three strings?

Merry Christmas!

Yes - and another common two finger one is m, a

In classical, the fingers play all the strings including 4, 5 & 6 when practising scales. And there are two ways of striking the string,
free stroke (tirando) and rest stroke (apoyando).

Free stroke is the normal stroke, but rest stroke involves the finger hitting the string then coming to rest on the adjacent string while the next finger carries out its stroke. You can do rest stroke on all strings except the 6th.
Rest stroke is a little slower than free stroke but it's louder and has a fuller tone, which makes it ideal for emphasising the melody over the harmony and bass. Rest stroke isn't used in arpeggios as it wouldn't allow the strings to sustain, but it's ideal for scales and melodies.

Merry Christmas to you too, Nuno :)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Great explanation Fretsource!

Thank you very much :D

ReplyQuote