Clear all

Finding people to jam

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@procload)
Topic starter  

Hi,
I live in a fairly big city, Columbus, and go to school at Ohio-State. I've been playing guitar for about 6 to 7 years now and I've been in a few bands in high school. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on a way to meet some people to start playing with. I really don't know where to look to find a drummer or bass player. I could probably find another guitarist at the local music store, but drummer and bass players are a little hard to come by. So, does anyone have any experience moving to a new city and trying to find some people to jam with? Or does anyone have any tips for me to help me look for a drummer or bass player to start playing with?

Thanks,
Ryan

(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I dunno. Get involved with the music scene definately (thats kinda hard in columbus i know, its a big place and the music stores a few and far between). Try to get to know a lot of guys in the buisness. Theres a really good bassist in worthington, hes 16 though. Hes a cool guy. I used to live over there and he was a good friend of mine.

If you ever wanna just jam with a guy i come back during the summer quite often (unless you aint there in summer).

Columbus is a nice place, not particularily for music though.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@fabik317)

Where I live there's this big messageboard in every music store with messages like "drummer wanted", "guitar teacher wanted" or "rehearsal room wanted" on it. Maybe this could work in your area too.(?)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the musical madhouse.

Columbus is a great place for concerts -- the number of concerts in Ohio in general is pretty astonishing, actually. Lots of nice venues from Cleveland down to Cincinnati.

Look for open mic nights along High Street. And there used to be a guitar shop up on High Street. Check in there. And check at the CD shop up on High Street near the edge of campus -- can't think of the name of the intersection but it's on the Northern end of High.

And there must be some sort of bulletin board over at the Student Union. Post something there. There's got to be a music scene on campus -- OSU is the size of a small city all by itself.

And post down in Gigs and Jams on this forum. You just might get a nibble.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@notyetnirvana)
Trusted Member

I have been thinking about this today actually. I recently moved to a new school, but I know a guy who plays bass. I was thinking about asking him if he wants to play some time, if he likes the same music as me that is. But im guessing he might already be in a band. If not, he probably knows a drummer who's house we could play at.

Anyway, like other people have said, the best thing to do is ask around, in music shops specifically, as soon as you find one musician, he/she will probably know of others looking to join a band. Good luck :)

"Me... In a Nuclear Power Plant?...... KABOOM! Hahahaha!" - Homer Simpson in Highschool.

ReplyQuote