Clear all

Fingerpicking Dilema

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@hugh_jarce)
Topic starter  

Greetings

Having worked through some of David's most excellent lessons I have come to the conclusion that my future is in fingerpicking. However I lost my nail on my index finger a number of years ago and now it does not grow properly, it is thin and weak and breaks as soon as it gets to the right length.

Anyone got any ideas?

I thought about trying to glue a false nail on then file it back just to offer some support.

where are al the new lessons anyway, I thought here comes the sun was on the list.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hughj,
I keep my nails on both hands short and finger pick with the fleshy parts of my finger anyway. It's a mellower sound, I suppose. Does it bother your finger to fingerpick that way?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@hugh_jarce)
Topic starter  

well I just think it sounds brighter with the nails, also if you are interspersing some strumming into it then I generally strum with my index finger which is the problem nail.

I fingerpick David's America lesson, no idea how anyone can use a pelctrum on that one.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Hugh (love the name by the way ha ha ha). Wonder if anyone else has spotted it yet.

Anyway, I think the answer might be to try the finger picks that attach to your fingers, like Paul Simon uses. I imagine they take some getting used to, but what doesn't?

Maybe some other pickers on here can comment on their use?

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

I agree, maybe you could use this as an oppourtunity to incorporate mastery of an unknown technique. Rather then adjust to fit the norm try something new. If People without legs can run in the olympics why cant you throw on a fingerpick for your index finger, or better yet all five.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You could try these finger picks:

http://www.tonetoys.de/de/Finger-Tone.html

Sorry, it's in German, but the picture will tell you enough about the pick

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Here are my favorite fingerpicks: http://www.guptillmusic.com/propik/fastpicks.html

Here's an extraordinarliy versatile thumbpick:
http://www.fredkellyspicks.com/speed_pick.html

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wow, those are some cool picks. I could never get used to those things.

I read once many years ago that Eric Clapton would paint his fingernails with super-glue to strengthen them. Just don't get it in your eyes! :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

BTW, those FingerEase picks are also ProPiks made by Guptil Music. I linked to another page on the maker's site above. Look around, they've got several styles.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

You could also stick an acrylic nail to it.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Contrary to popular belief, you don't need extremely long nails to play classical/fingerstyle guitar. My nails usaully are just a couple millimetres past the tip of the finger, this allows for both good speed and decent tone. When I first started playing classical guitar my teacher told me not to worry about my nails, and to focus on getting the technique down first... I find that playing with long nails is easier, but playing without can be just as effective.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

My nails are actually a bit shorter than my fingertips, but I can still get the nail on the string - it's a matter of how you position your picking hand, and the angle of attack. Plus, it allows me to straighten out my fingers and use just the fleshy part for more of a 'bowing' effect.

The one thing I've never been able to do is get used to using the nail on my thumb, though... since it's just the 'left' corner of the nail that strikes the string, I'm still playing with how to shape it so I can hit consistently without getting the wrong string. On the plus side, bass strings ring out with a bit more volume anyway, and the subdued bass from striking with flesh serves as a good counterpoint to treble strings with nails when both are used at once. One thing I particularly like is attacking with the thumb going up, and the fingers going down - all the way to low E if need be.

I guess it's a good thing that 95+% of my work is on plectrum, huh?
:)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote