Clear all

First Gig.....

45 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Playing in the pub last night.....one of the guys said "I'm playing here friday night, backing up a old mate....you coming to watch, give us some moral support?" So I said, "yes, I'll come...might even start the clapping...."

Then said "old mate" phones, can't make it....so take a wild guess who planted his size 11's firmly in his mouth and said "ah well if you can't get anyone else, I suppose I could do it...."

I now have 3 days to get about 15 songs down pat.....not quite as bad as it sounds, cos we do about 10 of them every week anyway....BUT....I have to play acoustic, electric and sing as well.....

So it looks like 3 days intensive cramming....some songs I know bits of, some I know pretty well, some I learned in a different key.....for instance, I learned "Band on the Run" in G, got to play it in C...

So I'm in panic mode right now....well actually I was in panic mode last night when I got home and realised what I agreed to....now I'm in sheer blind funk mode....

Need to pick out which guitars to take....probably be the Squier Tele and the Yamaha acoustic.....I know which amp, it'll be the 15 watt Roland Cube, it'll be the first time I've ever turned the volume pot past #2.... might invite the neighbours, show them how loud it can be.....

Need new strings....need to practise....need a drink!!!!!! Need several drinks......

Wish me luck, I'll get pics.....might even post them if I don't embarrass meself too much....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Vic

Good luck mate. I am sure you'll be ok. Get changing them strings NOW and get practising!

knock 'em dead

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Good Luck Vic. :)
Don't forget to take a capo.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Way to go Vic, Good luck and don't forget to let us know how you got on

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Thats great news. Good luck to you.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

KewL!!
any chance of some recorded clips?
If you need a manager for the US tour drop me a line , We'll do lunch :wink:

congrats bro.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Congrats Vic. Enjoy and knock em dead.

Looking forward to the pics.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

Need new strings....need to practise....need a drink!!!!!! Need several drinks......

Vic

Need to breate...

Just remember something I learned from high school band. You are the only person who will notice those little mistakes. Just play through em, keep going. everyone will love you.

First Gig today, recording contract tomorow, fame and fortune and everything that goes with it :)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

You are the only person who will notice those little mistakes. Just play through em, keep going. everyone will love you.quote]

and if not.. HEY its at a pub and by closing time they will be too snookered to care. :lol:

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Whole point is, I don't want to make ANY mistakes....I want to be perfect...doesn't matter if everyone else in the pub is drunk or not (and I'll probably have one or two or several myself....!!!) if it isn't perfect I'll know...and I'm doing this as a favour for a friend, I'd feel really bad if I let him down....

I've just been running through a few songs now, forgot the 4th verse of Working Class Hero...had to play another 8 bars of Am before it came to me..."Keep you doped with religion, and sex and TV"....I've been playing that song for over 20 years, how is it possible to forget something you know that well?

Then again, I have to write my own lyrics down when I'm singing and recording....sigh....Alzheimer's hits earlier these days doesn't it....I have a memory like one of things you use in the kitchen, forget what it's called but it has lots of holes in it....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Just to be sure, Vic, just know that my comment was only in fun.. and I probably shouldnt have made it anyway. My guess is that once you are up there and playing with the group that you will have no problems at all. Sounds like you are doing your homework and as long as you prepare then everything else should fall into place

Geoo

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

LOL....no offence taken....I know exactly what you mean, but like I said, I'll know every little mistake...that's why I don't want to make any....

Spent the weekend at step-daughters. babysat saturday afternoon while they went out to the pub....watching Gaelic Football in an Irish pub....well Mayo won, so stepson's happy.....i wasn't. no guitar for 3 days....

Played last night, fingers are really sore....was supposed to be out of the pub by 12, it was 3am when I got home...that's about 5 and 1/2 hours strumming....

just hope "It'll be all right on the night".....

OK, gotta go practise.....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Then again, I have to write my own lyrics down when I'm singing and recording....sigh....Alzheimer's hits earlier these days doesn't it....I have a memory like one of things you use in the kitchen, forget what it's called but it has lots of holes in it....

Vic

A spoon?

Seriosuly though, just take it nice and easy. Cramiing is kinda your only option. The only thing I can add is that the night before. Don't sleep too late, and make sure you eat a good breakfast/lunch (not sure when the gig is) That's the same advice they give us before high school state exams. And if you're nervous, sjut take some deep breaths to get some more oxygen in you. Try to concentrate on your guitar playing, not on the crowd, the size of the crowd would overhwlem you and you might forget. (the crowd might not be that big, but jsut looking at all those people might throw you off.)

I hope some of that helps. Good luck, and tell us how it goes.

BlackZero

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Breakfast? Cup of tea and a cigarette.....

LUnch....a lettuce leaf and a cup of tea and a cigarette....then again forget the lettuce....

Dinner....can of foster's and whatever happens to be lurking in the fridge....if the fridge ever happens to get struck by lightning, it'll start the whole evolutionary process off all over again....

Pub.....ah Fosters!!!!

Maybe I should go back to drinking "real ale".....the white bts at the bottom of a pint of Boddy's Bitter used to keep me nourished for a week....

Hell's Bells....it's wednesday already....I better go look through the ESD, see if I can find a song or two that's easy enough to play....

Vic

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Good luck Vic, you will do great. Think positive!
:D

John M

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3