Clear all

First Gig.....

45 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm already thinking positively....the glass isn't half-empty, it's half full... just wondering how I can fit a couple or more of my own songs in....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'm sure you'll do great Vic, can't wait to hear about it.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I'm already thinking positively....the glass isn't half-empty, it's half full... just wondering how I can fit a couple or more of my own songs in....

Vic

The glass isnt half empty, it's just nearly ready for another pint.

Are you going to have someone there recording any of it? I'd really like to hear how it all turns out!

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Congrats Vic!

Now here is a thought that will make you cringe - bring your written lyrics and chord sheets, and a music stand.

I know, I know, someone a long time ago decided that it wasn't cool to play with written music. Of course, these days they have teleprompters built into the stage floor...

Seriously, you're subbing in for someone, you're not supposed to know everything. Bring your music sheets.

Laz

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

We used to have a bass player that quite frankly stunk. But he danced REALLY good and all the women liked him (ok it was girls at the time). We always turned the volume all the way down on his bass and the guitar player we had would play the bass lines for him.

There is no way in the world you'll sound that bad.. :lol: Things are looking perky already..

Not to mention that half or more of this board is jealous as heck that you even have the gig. heh

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Laz....I don't even have a music stand....it's a wing and a prayer job....

Ah hell, what am I worried about, if I was that bad I wouldn't even have been asked....so why don't I just stop crapping myself, get some practise time in and stop worrying?

Cos I want to be perfect, that's why.....I can't bear the thought of hitting a bum note, even worse, a wrong chord,,,,I may not even have a drink (as in alcoholic drink) and stick to coke or orange juice, just to make sure I don't mess up...I'm shaking like a leaf now, and it's still 2 days away....

Then again, I may have a few drinks later.....there is MONEY!!! involved, as in "Getting Paid"....betcha it's all been spent by the time I get home....and I betcha I don't get home before 3am....

Don't know whether to laugh or cry....but I will promise you something, I'll give it my best....100%....and if that's not good enough, at least I can say "Well - I Tried!!!!!!!"

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Don't know whether to laugh or cry....but I will promise you something, I'll give it my best....100%....and if that's not good enough, at least I can say "Well - I Tried!!!!!!!" :D :D :D

Giving your best is all anyone can ask for! Good luck

John M

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

The highest hurdles are the one's we create in our own minds. In your "moment of weakness" if you hadn't believed you could do, you'd have probably kept your mouth shut - or better yet, you wouldn't have even been there. That means it's the thinking about it that's the problem. So stop thinking and just play. Those hurdles will get smaller on their own.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vic

Tell yourself right now that you are going to have fun. Quit worrying about mistakes, you are bound to make a few (we all do).

Take your lyrics and chord sheets. Put them on top of the monitor (if you have one), or just lay them on the floor in front of you. You probably won't need to look, but if so they will be there.

Now, one more time.....

I AM GOING TO HAVE FUN!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

but I will promise you something, I'll give it my best....100%....and if that's not good enough, at least I can say "Well - I Tried!!!!!!!"

Vic. After everything I read in the New York Times, New York Post, Rolling Stone, and the Houston Examiner about your tour of Texas and for that matter the US in general I don't think you have a thing to worry about.

Like Wes said HAVE FUN and the good will come.

Oh a little trick I learned. If you make a mistake in a song make the same mistake later and they will never know the difference. Might even praise you for improv.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK I PROMISE TO HAVE FUN!!!!

HONEST!!!!

Re...chord and lyric sheets...yeah, I think I'd better write the words down....funny thing, I never seem to forget chords....perhaps I was born to play rhythm, eh?....but I can not keep lyrics in my head...even my own....

Anyway, by now I'm resigned to the fact I have to play....and the fact I'm getting paid just makes it all the sweeter....so I am very determined to get it right on the night....

I keep thinking, why me? Why did he ask me?

Simple....we like the same music, both big Beatles/Stones fans...Tuesday night we played Working Class Hero, Wild Horses, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, Let It Bleed, Jealous Guy, and Ruby Tuesday...amongst others....so we're singing from the same hymn sheet from song one....

Now if I can just get the changes down to "Band On The Run" we're laughing......

Vic.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

If you don't mind me asking, how much are you getting paid? Ive never done anything like that, but I've always wondered what the pay is like.

anyway, good luck on your practice.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Not even sure what I'm getting paid - I didn't even ask!!! The money isn't important...nice, but not my prime motivation.... and anyway, I'd do it for nothing.... I'm just a rock'n'roll junkie, need my fix!!!!!

Vic

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

The money isn't important...nice, but not my prime motivation.... and anyway, I'd do it for nothing.... I'm just a rock'n'roll junkie, need my fix!!!!! :D :D :D Vic
Good reason Vic, have fun!!!

John M

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Hi Vic,

Hope all goes well tonight, I would say break a leg, but after reading one of your other posts that might tempt faith. Good luck and enjoy

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3