Clear all

Forming a band.

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@cobra22)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have been looking into creating a band. I have found a few people who have expressed intrest in playing in a band. So that isn't the part that is holding me back from playing. My problem is I am not certain how to break guitar parts up within the band, and therefore accomodating multiple members. Any ideas shared would be appreciated. And if anyone can point me in the correct direction of lessons posted I would be happy.

I am addicted to the guitar, just like I am addicted to air and water.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I assume you mean that you have multiple guitarists and are covering songs? Your best bet would be to re-arrange the song to suit your band better. Use the chord progression and melody line as basis and then work from there. One could strum chords the second can appergiate them. A third could play a riff based around the chord notes. A fourth could drone the root while a fifth can repeatedly play one note each measure and change each measure by going to the nearest note of the new chord.

Eg:
Am-F-Dm-G

Play one of these lines:

C-C-D-D
E-F-F-G
A-C-D-G
A-F-F-G

or any other such line.

Now you have the chord progression made clear. The seventh guitarist could play solo over it, using question&answering with the eighth guitarist. If playing pre-written lines the ninth and tenth guitarist can double these two parts an octave higher/lower. The eleventh guitarist might finish it all strumming on an accoustic Guitar. Íf you have any more guitarist start thinking about bringing some bass and baritone guitars and whip out the sheet music of beethoven's Fifth Symphony. If that still doesnt work have any remaining guitarists make sure noone runs out of drinks.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I agree. another thing, usually there is a rythym player and a lead player. so does anyone have the chops?
maybe all of you have got something. then: have three lead breaks in a song, feature one guitar for a certain song (working to a player's strength). there are alot of multi guitar based songs out here too.
in a band there should be agreement on stuff. sometimes a natural leader is revealed, usually its alot of fun with occasional head butts. everyone should be open to songs introduced to the play list. take some time and just jam
together . learn to listen. sometimes the best note is the one not played.
take it from there.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

just keep playing and figure it out as you go.

ReplyQuote