Notifications
Clear all

Fret board cleaner options?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jefferygibsonsg)
Topic starter  

I have a Gibson SG Standard and i am going to change the strings soon and wanted to know what i could use to clean my fret board i know they sell cleaning stuff for it but i want to know what i could use at the moment? Also would it hurt my neck if i took every string off to clean it or should i take one off clean the fret then put the new one on and repeat?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You can clean the fretboard with lemon oil. I also use 0000 grade wire wool to get the bad gunk off (stroke in direction of grain).

I always take all the strings off. To keep a trem/vibrato unit in place I use a small block of wood, which tensions the springs. On my Washie, with stop tail, the bit that holds the strings is not held in by anything but string tension. Make sure that you have hold of it when you remove the last string.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Removing all the strings is fine- I always do, because otherwise I'd never get the fretboard clean. :-) Only time I change only one string is if I break one.

If you have a floating bridge, block it. (I have a nine volt battery, covered with duct tape, which fits nicely under mine to hold tension on the springs- find something that fits yours, and make sure it won't scratch or mar the finish.)

I never use anything on the fretboard, though- just wipe it clear with a soft cloth.

A damp cloth would also be fine, as long as you don't leave it damp.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm old school. Most of the time, I'll just wipe down the fretboard with a cloth (years ago I bought a big chunk of flannel from a fabric store going out of business for just that purpose). But if it's really in need of more than elbow grease, I use lighter fluid - it's a decent solvent, evaporates fast, and doesn't leave a residue. But it's not compatible with all finishes - so test it first on a small part that won't be noticeable.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@sean0913)
Trusted Member

I use a cloth and a product called Lizard Spit Fretboard conditioner. I am also a rabid fan (as in I hoard the stuff) of Lizard Spit Guitar Polish.

Sean

Guitar Instructor/Mentor
Online Guitar School for Advanced Players
http://rnbacademy.com

ReplyQuote