Clear all

from good to great

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I feel that I've reached a plateau the last 3-4 years and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice that will help me move my playing up the ladder. I suppose I don't really know what to do with all I've learned, or perhaps I'm not aware of what I'm missing.

I've been in bands, studied college level theory, know all the technical stuff (ie bends, tapping, harmonics, sweep arpeggios, legato, etc), know tons of scales and modal patterns in all keys, and I can learn reasonable songs by tab or by CD.

I have not attempted to learn shred soloing, just because I'm in a modern rock band and don't have a use for it. My original music just seems so bland and boring, and my lead improv seems to all sound the same.

Suggestions?

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Okay, first of all, props to you for learning all that, you definitely have all the musical tools you need. Now take the final step: express yourself. This might seem obvious but it's really a whole new skill to learn and it comes with a whole new group of excercises. Here are some ideas:

-Write a chord progression using just two chords. Make it interesting so don't come up with C-G7.
-If you did a progression in a major key do a new one in a minor key and vica versa.
-Get out a piece of paper and write down ten events of your life that are really important to you. Things that literally changed your life and made you who you are now. Don't be a wimp so be honest.
-Take one event of that list and describe it in twenty lines.
-Take a look at those lines; every phrase and sentence should reflect how you feel about it.
-Write a melody that reflects the general feeling of that event and text.
-Write a chord progression around that melody.
-Fit the text you wrote to the melody, make sure the emphasis is on the correct words.
-Post the song here and await the criticism.

You'll probably learn a lot in this process, not just about guitar but also just music in general and even about you yourself. Listen to what people say and repeat the process. Your only goal is expressing yourself better then you did last song. Do this ten times. Think about a logical way to sequence these ten tracks. Maybe chronological, have it start with the oldest event and end with the most recent event. Or soundwise: start with the softer songs and slowly build to the rock tunes or vica versa. Use your imagine. Okay, now you've completed a full album and we're probably a few months down the road. Remember you as a person have a unique background. Your mission as an artist is to turn that into your own unique music, and that's very, very difficult. It will force you to use the correct music tools to create a coherent musical experience, and you'll have to be extremely honest to yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

That's great advice. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

some great tips there from Ignar, I'll second them as well as the general point that creativity has to be learned/developed/constantly exercised.

another tip - might work best after trying Ignar's tho.....

go to an art gallery. or something. watch a movie. whatever gets ya juices flowing. then, try to 'recreate' the painting/film/whatever you liked, but using music. a great improv tip I got was to watch a movie you know well, like, well enough to know a fair amount of the dialogue and/or what is playing out in each scene without the sound. then, try to improv along to the movie, creating the audio with your guitar - the different characters, the general vibe, etc. can be very exhausting, but also rewarding.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

play a ton. hours and hours, through the boredom and frustration at your own lack of creativity or ability.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Be satisfied at a plateau now and again, let yourself really absorb what you've learned up to this point.

But at the same time, don't be stagnant. Go back and review basic things.

Step into a new genre. Do some jazz stuff if you're a rock guy, or some country, or some reggae. Step out of your comfort zone.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I like to explore other music genres, be it country, style, or time(as in old cowboy music). then I apply what I know and listen to what I hear in the music. while trying to make thgat both work I learn something new and boom you find yourself on the next platteau.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@guitarflame_com)

Man, I loved those things that Ignar enumerated there. I have never thought about this. I think it is a great thing to do, it forces you to think and feel and think about what you feel.

http://www.GuitarFlame.com - Guitar stories from a semi-pro guitar player, electric guitars, acoustic guitars, personal view of rock music.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

playing a ton can easily cause burn-out and repetitiveness, though. and it sounds like he has the chops now not to need to practise so much to develop the tools - he already has those. but if all you ever do is play music, then ya music's gonna suck. music works by taking inspiration from everything, not just music, then reinterpreting or representing those things through the form of sound/noise.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice, can't wait to try out the ideas.

I suppose I'm sort of in the "ok I can paint, now what shall I paint" mindset. I can learn any song the band wants to do without much effort. I get so frustrated because the best songs are sooooooo simple, yet I can't seem to compose anything worth listening to.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Here's an article that was on the Epiphone website that has some interesting ideas:

By Dianne Spoto

There's nothing more exciting for a performer than having that moment in the spotlight to shine. One way performers show their stuff is through improvising and taking solos. Solos allow a musician to have the spotlight all to him or herself, and to compose on the spot and express their own unique musical voice. Improvisation gives players an opportunity to show off instrumental prowess, musical intelligence and spontaneity.

However, for some, soloing on stage makes the thought of a root canal seem like fun. Either way, giving improvisation a go can enhance your confidence and build self-esteem, which translates directly to lots of other areas in your life. How can you go wrong with that? Read on for some hands-on tips and tricks to help you dig into the art of the solo and “let 'er rip!”

Practice Techniques: Tried and true prep exercises for before you hit the stage.

1. Listen
Listen to great solos on record. Crank up the volume on some rip-roaring, live solos from your favorite band. Now listen carefully and ask yourself these questions: What catches your ear with this solo? Is it the speed of the notes? The tone? Perhaps there is an incredible amount of expression or rhythmic complexity that makes the solo engaging. Discover for yourself what makes a solo exciting to you.

2. Transcribe
Take that solo that you dig so much and try to memorize it note for note. You can do this by learning to play or sing along to it by ear. But one way to learn the music on an even deeper level is to transcribe the solo by writing down every note and chord change on notation paper. This way, you will learn melody and chord structure and be able to play your own solos over those very changes in time.

3. Record
While you're in your room practicing alone, turn on the recorder and let it run while you jam. You may be surprised to hear differences between the actual recording and the way you think you sound as you play. Listen to your solo and ask yourself the questions from step No. 1. You might just be pleasantly surprised with your answers!

4. Write
Here's a fun way to tackle the art of improv: write down five random notes, any notes, and play them on your instrument. Try playing the five notes in as many different ways as possible. For example, play the notes slowly with a beautiful tone. Play them short, staccato and forte. Play them with various rhythms. Play the five notes in a different order each time. Create a melody and rhythm out of the notes. Think of a specific emotion while you play the notes and try to express that emotion as clearly as you can.

5. Jam
Create an avant garde improvisation group! Gather some friends (they don't have to be trained musicians) and get together with instruments, or hand percussion instruments, and just jam. Make stuff up as you go along, but do it while listening to each other and try to react to each other's playing. Take turns accompanying as you all take a turn at soloing. Don't be afraid to let it sound really abstract or even borderline strange! In fact, try to make it sound as wacky as possible. This will open up your mind to allow fun and free thinking without censorship or self-judgment.

6. Riff
A riff is a catchy, repeated chord or series of chords. Most of our favorite songs are built around riffs. Listen to the repeated guitar or keyboard motifs underneath the verses of your favorite recordings. Try to emulate some of your favorite riffs, and make up your own simple riff on piano, guitar or another stringed instrument. Play it over and over and then allow a note or two to come out of your mouth as you accompany yourself with the riff. Enjoy the notes you are singing. As you vamp on the riff, some variations will most likely emerge as your melody organically forms.

Performance Techniques: Now that you have practiced and brushed up on your improvising skills, turn your focus to the stage!

1. Melody Building
Take a section of the melody of the song in which you're soloing and add notes to it. Use the melody snippet as a base for your improvised solo.

2. Pitch Switch
If you are looking to add momentum or intensity to a solo, try going higher and higher in pitch.

3. Volume
A lot of times when people solo, they automatically increase the volume with every note they play. There is nothing wrong with this, but for variety and surprising intensity, try playing a solo quietly.

4. Safe Landings
Audiences tend to focus on certain notes in a solo, so try breaking up fast, technical passages with long, sustained notes. It will add flavor to your solo and give the audience something to focus on aurally. Liken this to climbing a hill and stopping on a peak to enjoy the view.

5. Know Your Chords
Playing by ear is a gift, but playing by ear to chords that you are knowledgeable of is a skill. Learn the chord structure of everything you solo over and be aware of the notes that make up each chord. That way you can intentionally pull notes out of the chords to put in your solo and avoid “clinkers.”

Coda
At the end of the day, improvising and soloing aren't about being “right” or “wrong,” or “good” or “bad,” at music. It's about expressing who you are as a person and musician, and sharing it with others. Though soloing can seem daunting to some, the idea of having a chance to express your particular uniqueness to the world is exciting! Like snowflakes, no two of us are exactly alike; we each have qualities that are completely special and unique. Next time you improvise, think of your musical voice as a snowflake, entirely original and special, like nobody else. Go for it!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@zen-master-jeff)

All these are wonderful ideas!

I would have to suggest that you might be feeling burntout for one or more of the following reasons:

You just aren't finding the motivation to push yourself. Your musical goals aren't getting you pumped up enough to push through. Maybe you haven't heard anything to excite you musically. You might just be bored because you feel you have heard everything you ever played and already know what you will play next.

First. I would recommend reevaluating your musical goals. Do you want to be as good as you can? Better than so and so? Do you want to be good at guitar or great?

There are no right or wrong anwers. If guitar is just your hobby for fun, then more power to ya!

Second, I would recommend while you are evaluating these goals and visions, to take a break from guitar, for however long that might be. That way your creative juices really start building up, and you often will have that urge to play keep getting stronger and stronger.

Third, when you come back, just start listening to some weird stuff. Stuff you usually dont. And transcribe what they are doing. Train your ears.

Fourth, Get yourself some out of the ordinary gigs. For example, I am no country player, but a drummer friend asked me to do a gig with a country singer and i said sure. Man oh man, was my brain country-fried from learning all those songs and licks.... But hey, I came out a lot better of a player with new tricks, new licks, and feeling very accomplished. After the gig I had a new fire to learn more and keep pushing my boundaries.

When you have a deadline to make, it really pushes you to accomplish new things and take your playing to new levels.

And dont worry about taking a break from your guitar for a bit. Larry Carlton and other greats are known for laying off the guitar for months and coming back with a new fire to play and finding their creativity enhanced by it!

Hope that helps!

GuitarPlayerZen.com: Maximize You Guitar Potential

Creative Lessons, Advice, and Insights to take your playing to new Heights

StudioProGuitar.com
Learn what it takes to become a successful studio guitarist.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Great advice from Ignar, Cnev and Zen.

This thread is going in my favourite list.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Listen to some wierd players like this video of Robert Fripp. I like the third song he plays especially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o-EulnP-dA

What I mean is forget about scales and theory and just try to make some creative noise on guitar. It will get you out of the rut.

Here is another player that has a very unusual style, Joey Santiago of the Pixies. He excels at playing "sour" notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvn0U4lS24

Listen to Jazz, and Classical orchestra music as well. This will give you lots of new ideas.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hey, Joey Santiago is probably one of the most underrated guitarists out there. NOBODY plays like Joey.

Listen to how Joey plays the Blues in this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Is7OuaS4s&feature=related

And Joey plays lots of sour notes in this great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONfsd9dlFFs&feature=related

Like I said, NOBODY plays like Joey Santiago.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote