Fun and frustration

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This is a great season for parties and getting together - i.e. it is allways smart to bring a guitar!

Met a really remote relative today (actually the sister of my wife's cousin's wife... :) ). She lives in Equador and visits Norway for Christmas. Turned out she's a great singer, and we tried to do some songs. She's mostly into jazz - Ok, I know some jazz / bossa stuff - it turned out that we totally disagreed on key. Well, I can read sheet music pretty well, and I can often transpose e.g. a fifth in either direction on the run - but trying to transpose songs that I almost know with 10-15 chords (Desafinado, One note samba, ...) with a lot of extensions without even having them written down is not even worth trying... :?

Still, lots of fun - other guests enjoyed it too it seemed.
Note to self: practice more standard jazz songs.

The moral?
1. Never leave home without your guitar!
2. Bring some songs too!
3. Remember to check if your capo is in your guitar case before you're packing down!

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The moral?
1. Never leave home without your guitar!
2. Bring some songs too!
3. Remember to check if your capo is in your guitar case before you're packing down!

Amen to that, Lars!!!!

To which I'll add - for next year, learn a Xmas song....I "accidentally" left a guitar and amp downstairs on Xmas eve....Xmas day, telly on Vh1, Slade - "Merry Xmas Evrybody" comes on....granddaughter says to me, "You know that one, don't you? You played it last year...." hell, i got them all singing to my version of it....very loudly!!!!

(See "Easy Songs" for an easy version.......)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

I'm starting to get into Jazz a little bit. I know a few folk or ascoutic songs, but mainly I'm a blues man. Lately I been playing a little swing blues, I feel little a can solo better to Jazz for some reason. My blues soloing needs some help! Anyways, Sometimes it's fun just playing guitar while someone else sings! :)

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yes Vic - X-mas songs!
Being good at playing Xmas songs is probably one of the most useful things during Xmas and one of the most unuseful things during the rest of the year... makes the practicing bit quite hard - sitting outside in the garden a quiet summer night practicing "Hark the herald angel sings"?

BTW I never had a grandad with electrical guitar!

And Djdubb
One should know a little bit of everything I guess. Some Jazz, some blues some bossa some folk some 80s pop, some Beatles, some Stones, some Brit pop, some Rock some ...sigh...
Then you need to know all songs in any key and you need to pin down both the rythm parts and the lead parts together with lead vocal and backing vocal ...

Just go practice!!
I'm off to the mountains for some skiing for the rest of the year. Will bring guitar!!

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote