g400 custom (again)

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I hope you guys help me in the poll, and post some things

I'm really close to having enough money for my epi g400 custom ($439) and I'm reading many reives. On HC many pplbash the stck pickups while others thank the lord for them and I'm thinking of what I would upgrade on mine.

1. The pearloid buttons that are stock, are they the same ones gibson sells as replacemnt parts on MF? If they are, then no need to replace. Many people have said that the tuners slip easily, does anyone know a company that makes excellent pearloid tuners? (other than gibson)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/306094/
These are the Gibson replacement ones

2. I'm thinking of replacing the stock Alnico classic/hot pickups with 3 gibson 57' classic ones. I think this is a good move. The gibson custom shop version has 3 and i'm wondering would it make a big difference if i put in the 57' classic plus instead? They are basically the same price and if it's better, then why not?

3. People have said things such as repalcing the nut with a bone nut is a great improvement? How and why?

i would really love to get feedback from as many of you guys as possible (especially simon, since he owns the thing)

id like to thank eveyrone for your help

(@97reb)
Noble Member

Hmm. You are talking about spending $439 on the guitar and then spend, what about $50 on new tuning machines, then 3 classic Gibson '57's cost about $100 apiece, unless you get another manufacturers version of '57's. So, the total in guitar and parts, plus labor comes to over $789. Almost as much add ons will go onto the guitar as you will pay for the actual guitar. That does not seem very economical. I can't wait to hear the others opinions on this. Keep us informed of your choices, please.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My opinion and this is only an opinion.
Buy the guitar and play it for a while.
You may just love it as it is.
Guitars, the sound, the feel, everything about it is a personal thing.
I can't tell you that the stock pickups suck or are the best things in the world. That is what you have to decide based on your personal preference.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

thx for ur input

i do agree it would be expensive to buy all the add-ons with the guitar. considering i ahve no job, and my guitar moiney comes from not eatin lunch and savin money, it would take me a long time to afford 1 pickup. i emant to sya, any pickup replacement i wa splanning would take palce after ive had the guitar for some time, becuase A. i might like the pickups and B. i get money very slwoly so it would take me long jsut to sav for one.

thanks again and keep the suggestions coming

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

The only other suggestions I have - A). When changing a full set of strings only have one string at a time off the guitar, so there is less chance of any kind of neck warping. B). Keep the same guage strings on the guitar, so you don't have to go messing with the truss rod. They are probably .010-.046 Gibson strings. These two minor things will help you enjoy your guitar for longer, untill you learn more about adjusting your guitar. Good luck.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

A bone nut will improve the sound of most guitars with synthetic nuts, and usually can be had for less than $100 installed.

But I agree that you should get the guitar and play it for a bit. Lots of worse guitars out there, and if you really like the feel and sound of it, no sense in mucking around.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

jsut updating the psot, trying to get more people answering.

thanks eveyrone

ReplyQuote