Clear all

GAS attack.

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

hey guys. last week i asked for opinions about the Washburn Idol I66 model. music123.com was selling one for 299 USD. thankfully (for my bank account) it sold over the weekend. but this morning i was looking at the site and theyve got a Fender Deluxe Strat for 799 USD and an Epi Les Paul Standard for 249 USD! im a lefty and dont run into deals like this very often, so its SO hard to resist temptation like this! please guys, talk me out of buying these!
http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Left-Handed--Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-B-Stock-(New-B-Stock)-i230361.music
http://www.music123.com/Fender-American-Deluxe-Stratocaster-Left-Handed----Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-(Closeout)-i126649.music

Dan

(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

linky no worky.

What the hell, buy the strat.

Oops, sorry. That's not what you wanted to hear is it? :wink:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

sorry about the faulty link. no, Chuckster, that isnt what i wanted to hear! haha. im really considering the Strat. i mean, its a Deluxe for a little more than youd pay for the Highway 1 model!
i guess i need someone to tell me that i dont need it. ive got a G&L Legacy and a 50th Anniversary American Standard Strat (would like to sell, btw), so ive got the single-coil sound covered. yet, they dont have the samariums and the S-1 switching...

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey :D
You don't need that Deluxe Strat.
The best sounding Strat I ever heard is my 71.
The pups are anything BUT noiseless cobolt samariums.
And 10 (TEN!!!!) way switching!!!!
Mines only got 3.
And you know what....
Of those 3, I only use one at a time. :D

Ken :wink:

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Citizen, now THATS the kind of reply i needed! thanks for being my voice of reason. so the samariums really arent noiseless?

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i have a 2004 deluxe strat and it's the "best" "i've" ever heard. mine are noiseless, and the S-1 switching adds several
(tho not 10) tonal variations unavailable in 3 way switching.
i bought it over all the others i tried based on the "feel", the neck was just that much better.

play one, then decide for yourself, don't buy or disreguard a choice merely from online suggestions.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Twisted, thats great advice. ive always wanted a Deluxe Strat, but then again, i want A LOT of guitars. i think i may just take advantage of music123's great return policy and try it out. if i dont like it, it will cost me the price of shipping. if i DO like it, i doubt im going to find a better deal any time soon.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Resistance is futile.

You will be assimilated.

:twisted:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

GH -
Hi :D

No, I'm sure that the samariums are noiseless....
The original stock pups in my 71 are NOT anywhere close!!!!! :D

TL - I agree completely:
Try one out, see if you want it.
I was mearly trying to "talk GH out of it" as he had requested.

On a more serious note - Where would you like to meet to hear my 71.... :D :D :D :lol: :wink:

Ken

ps - the S-1 switching system on HH equipped strats are 10 way.
Not sure of the 3 SC equipped ones.
Sorry

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

When you see the guitar that you really really really can't live without, go and buy it. Because if you don't buy that one, you'll probably just buy a differant one later and regret letting the first one get away. There is no cure for GAS, just ongoing treatment.

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Hi GuitarHack!

I bought an American Deluxe Ash Strat last year and have never regretted it one bit. The salesman (an excellent player, btw) was urging me to buy a "real" Strat (American w/Fender SC pups, 5-way switching) which would have brought him less commission so I was really confused for a while! :? I guess it came down to this:

1) The Deluxe w/ SCN SC pups (10 settings in all according to specs, but not as noticeably different as it would seem) offered more tonal variation while still sounding very Strat-like to my ears. SCs are SCs as far as I'm concerned with some minor differences (noiseless being the biggest IMO) when considering a Strat. I figured I'd never have another shot at an additional Strat (and, happily, I was wrong as I now also own a Jeff Beck model which I love even more than the Deluxe :o ) so I went for the noiseless Samarium Cobalts. I strongly feel that the Deluxe is a "real" Strat despite my salesman's apparent dislike of the SCNs. He's a purist and I'm not!

2) The aged cherry sunburst finish on the Deluxe hooked me immediately, though I did my best to be objective about my choice!

3) Crazy as it seems, I much prefer the rectangular Fender case to the standard molded one that comes w/ a Standard Strat. That pretty much made up my mind.

I could have saved approximately $300 by buying the "real" Strat (which played quite well...no worse, definitely), too. But I bought a guitar I'll never sell unless I have to, God forbid. Besides...much to my hubby's dismay, I can throw $300 away on nothing in no time. :oops:

And I totally agree that TwistedLefty has given the best serious advice thus far: play one, then decide for yourself, don't buy or disreguard a choice merely from online suggestions. CitiZenNoir, on the other hand, sounds far too sensible to me...:P

Anyhow, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents and best wishes in...let us know what you decide!!! :)

P.S. Almost all guitars are cool in my book. But STRATS RULE!!! :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Musica23 - You are a serious nut :D :D :D
I knew there was something I liked about you. (Or maybe a couple things :lol: )

Ash Bodied Strat huh....
Now were talkin'!!!!
My 71 is also ash.... (3 color burst)
I like that way better than alder.
Have you noticed the eerie similarities in SO many of our preferences....?
Must have something to do with the stars :wink:

Does it have a rosewood board???? (Ash/rosewood - my favorite tonewood combo for Fenders)

I'm not THAT sensible - I'm just one of those purist types too I guess. :twisted:

I also have an 88 strat MIA standard. (the Olympic White one)
It has 5 way switching.... too many in my opinion.

The thing is, that w/the 3 way.... there's one pos. for every pup.
Now, I don't know if everyone is as picky about tone as I am (no, I know no one is :lol: )
I 'dial' in my pup heights.
If I pick up someones Strat that doesn't have the pups dialed in - it's like being out of tune to me.
You've gotta make sure the frequency range is even.

So, when you do that on a 3 pos. system, the mid pup turns out to be the best one, the one you lean on most.

With a 5 way - well, you pretty much lose the mid pup because you have to use that in conjunction w/the others to
make the 'extra' two pup positions work.
So instead of setting it up to sound good by itself (lower under the low E - higher under the high e), you have to pretty
much drop it level almost flat as far down as it will go, or it over powers the sound on the 2 extra positions, leaving it
pretty much useless as a stand alone pup.

I can't even imagine what MORE than 5 positions would do to screw things up.... Wowzers.

And to me, since the Strat is a basic, utilitarian type workhorse guitar.... the more basic it is, the better.
The furthur you stray from that original 50's setup, the worse it gets :P

And, I totally agree with you on this - STRATS RULE!!!! :D

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

CitiZenNoir proclaims:
Musica23 - You are a serious nut :D :D :D

I'll take that as a compliment, and I'll also have to agree with your assessment. :oops:

Of course it's rosewood. Wouldn't ya know??? :roll: There are some eerie similarities, but it seems that we choose similar things for different reasons. I actually purchased the same guitar w/ maple because rosewood wasn't in stock at the time. Later, I found a rosewood and swapped 'em because it's much more comfortable for me to play on this particular model. I found the maple to be sticky-feeling (but cool looking!). So it was more of a playability issue than a tone issue. Definitely.

As for being picky about tone, you've got me beat by a long shot. Honestly, I wish I knew about stuff like lowering and raising pups. I'm lucky to change my own strings. :cry: As a result, I'm forced to rely upon others (hard for me to find) to set up my instruments and such. The fact (I guess it's a fact...according to the specs, at least) that my Deluxe has 10 tonal positions doesn't wow me in the least. It's the finish and the case that were the deciding factors. Tonal possibilities just seemed nice at the time. As I get more into this sick business, the idea of a 3 position Strat sounds way cooler! And very, very adequate to boot. Your explanation of the 3 position Strat explains why my salesman encouraged me to go basic, I think. Looks like I'll need to add on, huh??? (Tell that to my hubby. :shock: )

I swear I could find a reason to buy 1001 additional guitars today and half of 'em might be Strats. :!:

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i really have to quit reading your replies, people! i've been a Strat guy for some time now (though i bought a Gibson SG a while back and i love it). i've got that 'basic Strat' position filled with my G&L Legacy and my 50th Anniversary Fender. so i guess that leaves a place in my collection for a Deluxe Strat. when i finally get that, i'll have to keep an eye out for a hard tail, ive always wanted one.

Dan

ReplyQuote