Clear all

Live apparel

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This may be a trifling issue, but what the hell.

I'm a 47 year old guy playing in a local Classic Rock band. I'm no Angus Young, but I try to be fairly energetic in a live setting. I don't like the way I "look" and it's hard to make that happy medium between "looking like a musician" and comfortable. I don't like tennis shoes but anything else just plain hurts the next day. I tried my black cowboy boots the other night and on Sunday I felt like FDR on a bad day. I sweat like a madman on stage, so dusters, suit jackets or even vests would get ruined. I'm not fat, but I don't think my build lends itself to the wife-beater or sleeveless.

What do you guys wear for live duds?

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I bought my BF (a killer guitarist, btw!) some really great "player" shirts, mostly off of the internet.

Here's some shirts.

Fender Footwear

Shirts, Socks, Underwear, Ties

Personally, I usually wear high heels and a pink cowboy hat onstage!

EDIT: NO! I probably could have worded that better! I DO wear things in between the high heels and the pink cowboy hat, too! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I was older than you when I was gigging. I sat half the time, being a lap steel player.
I wore, you'll hate this, black cowboy boots (soft top) black boot cut jeans. tight but not stupid tight,
my favorite lucky, now vintage, Radio K Rev 104 t-shirt. it was black with a radio tower image shooting jagged sound waves, and a really nice dress black shirt with western pearl buttons. I left that unbuttoned. I liked the feel when I slung my strat for the last show. I am a size medium.
they were my very comfortable clothes and in nice shape, as I feel it is important to dress a bit for stage.
in the 70's it was all hippy grunge. I didnt care.

the secret weapon is the right antiperspirant for you.
with comfy clothes and roll on you should only have to
worry about where you fingers go on the fretboard!

have you tried bowling shoes?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the ideas!

Um, bowling shoes? Are we talking the two-toned half-red/half-grey ones I rent at the Bowl-Mor?

* Anti-Perspirant is not a problem. My Old Spice solid makes quick work of my underarms. However my back, my legs, wrists, etc., produce major waterworks. Not that I mind sweating, it makes me feel honest.

* Comfortable feet is paramount. At outdoor gigs I bring a carpet remnant so I can stand on something more yielding than a slab. Electra, I'm diggin' the leather low-tops.

* Dogbite's mention of where my fingers go also reminded me that, at 47, my eyesight ain't what it was. Anybody wear their cheaters to a gig? I have resisted so far, but I need brighter lights than I used to.

My wife encourages me to wear tanks or sleeveless. But in pictures I've seen I look like someone that got pulled over on "Cops".

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

haha. cheaters. I need glasses for far away. I dont wear them at gigs because I feel better if the audience is a blur.

bowling shoes...not necessarily two tone, but thin, comfy soles, light and airy.
they sell them any where now..sans number too.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Anybody wear their cheaters to a gig? I have resisted so far, but I need brighter lights than I used to.

At 51, my eyes are definitely NOT what they used to be, but I really don't like to wear glasses onstage (they tend to slip off of my face or slide down my nose and it's a pain to have to keep adjusting them). But, sometime I need to! So ... they live on top of my head underneath my cowboy hat until I do need them. I usually make some joke about "old eyes" while I quickly slip them on and off. Since our audiences are usually around our ages anyway, they all laugh because their eyes aren't exactly what they used to be either!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@douglasa)
Estimable Member

This may be a trifling issue, but what the hell.

What do you guys wear for live duds?

Man, I guarantee that there are alot of people who wished they asked that same question. Thats what's cool about most people on this board, they are here to help.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace (Jimi Hendrix)

ReplyQuote
(@jmann198d)

I was wondering the same thing in my head. luckily this thread answered my questions

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I've only been on stage twice (gagging to get back up there though :lol: ) but I think that you should wear whatever feels comfortable to you - after all, it's your playing that people are interested in.

I wore pretty much what I wear on a day off anyway. Personally, I've always liked Tshirts / shirts with slogans on them.

First time on stage, I wore a Tshirt with this on the front;

Second time, I wore a Tshirt with this on the front;

Obviously ignore that copyright line at the bottom of the picture :lol: :lol:

I am also a person who gets up a sweat quite heavily - wearing a black shirt is both a blessing and a curse. 'Cos its black, the lights made it warmer, but 'cos its black, the sweat patches don't show up. Guess its a personal choice really. I'd rather sweat a bit more and not show it :wink:

As for the rest, I had a pair of jeans kinda like these;
http://www.theurbanshop.co.uk/catalogue/closeup.asp?ProductCode=KR3008

a White leather belt with a Rock 'n' Roll buckle and white trainers. If you don't want to wear trainers, a trick I've found is to take the insoles of a pair or trainers and put those insoles into a pair of smart shoes / boots - that way, you get to wear the smart shoes, but you still get some of the comfiness underfoot of trainers.

I don't have a photo from when I was playing on stage, so for a laugh (and because I was bored), I made a mock-up from the pics I found :lol: :lol: :lol: You can see it here;

It sucks, but it gives you the idea of my "style" (if you can call it that! :lol: )

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote