Clear all

GAS Relief

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@steves)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I took the plunge last weekend. I've been longing for a Les Paul for some time now - even listed its acquisition as a 2005 goal. A couple of weeks ago I started to seriously research, including some playing time at GC. I've been looking at the Classic and Standard. The Standard was really what I wanted, but the price was putting me off.

So last weekend I drop my Acoustic off at the local shop for some adjustments. On the wall I spot a Standard. Didn't really check it out that day, but came back this past Saturday and spent some time with the shop owner and the guitar. Long story short, this past Saturday I walked out of that shop with a barely used 2003 Les Paul Standard. Not a scratch on it anywhere. Iced Tea is the color:

She is soooo sweet. And buying it from a local shop really made me feel good about the purchase (plug for Action Music in Arlington, VA). Matt, the owner, set it up real low for me and it practically plays itself! Sustain? Forever! I'm in love. The good news for my wife is that my new girl is made of wood - but she's truly a work of art.

I just need to make sure my first love Strat) doesn't start to feel neglected. :wink:

Steve

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Congrats on your new axe, she sure is purdy.

Doesn't it feel good to buy something new.

Just tell your strat that you and your new Gibson are just friends. :P :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hey Steve, congrats.

I love Action Music too, one of the best kept secrets around DC.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

If you don't mind, how much did it cost? Just wondering and congrats on yur (almost) new LP! I've had a liking for the lp and sg gibosn models. even though I'm a strat/Fender guy(even though the Epiphone G-400 in my local shop sure is tempting) 8) I've always wanted to try a v too. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Awesome man. Enjoy it, take care of it, treat it better than your strat ;) . Im a Les Paul Lover. Although to be honest, I'm starting to wish I went with the DC, but if you're happy with it, thats good man.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yoyo,

I paid $1500 - they go for $2,200 new at GC before any haggling. It really is like new - not a scratch anywhere on it. And based on the serial number, it's just barely over a year old. So I saved $700 and only gave up the Gibson warranty. Frankly, the shop service is probably just as good, if not better.

The truth is I really hadn't planned on spending this kind of cash (neither had my wife!), but the guitar just called my name when I played it. Each time I picked up the past four days I've thought "I'm not worthy!"

Steve

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Another satisfied Gibson owner. Thats great.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I don't want to be a downer, seriously. Seriously.

I recommend to anyone thinking about getting a Les Paul to go and start to read from the Les Paul forum for a while before you buy one. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about guitars, but I can't hold a candle to the product specific knowledge they have. In being a member there for 3-4 months, I've probably learned 100 mistakes I made when I bought my instrument, some of which are really annoying. Don't get my wrong, I love my guitar to death, it really is an amazing axe, but I now know how much better I could do.

A couple quick ones (I won't get crazy, but some of the dudes over there would have a lot to add).

1. GC and all normal local shops are going to over charge for a Les Paul, really the only good way to get one now is on the net: Normal price for a new standard, with case and a great set up, out of a huge selection is 1,650. GC normal price is 2k even, 2400 for a premium top.

2. I kick myself over this pretty much daily: If you can afford a standard, you can afford an 1957 reissue, they'll come out at about 1800-2000, but have great specs: improved electronics, long neck tenon, MUCH better fretwork, brazilian rosewood fretboard (if it's 2003 or older) etc etc. etc. The neck profile is pretty different, but a good neck shaving is suprisingly cheap if it really bothers you.

Anyways, you may already be hooked on your guitar, and that's cool, I'm hooked on mine so I can totally respect it, but I'd highly recommend to anyone that they pop over there just so they really know their instrument, and where they fall on the grand scale of things. Don't let my rant bring you down, but do check it out.

Congrats on getting the best model of guitar ever made, and be prepared to kiss your strat goodbye! :D

Oh yeah, you'll need this:

http://www.lespaulforum.com

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

No worries undercat, you're not a downer. You offer good, sound advice for anyone considering buying a guitar - Les Paul or otherwise.

I wish I had know about the lespaulforum earlier, but I don't think I would have been swayed - I really wanted this guitar. I read many of the Harmony Central reviews on both the Classic and the Standard and found them to be very helpful. On a guitar this popular, there are enough reviews to create a balance and you can easily spot the outliers and lunies.

Also, while I've bought many things online, including some pricey items, I wouldn't feel the least bit comfortable spending this kind of money on a guitar without the ability to play before buying. Given that, I feel like I got a good deal as I've not seen anyone local offer a new Standard close to the price you quoted. Even at that price, I still saved a couple of bucks, got a great guitar and supported my local guitar shop. All in all, a good days work.

Play on!

Steve

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Congratulations. I'm only 16 and ever since I saw my first GC catalog, getting a Les Paul Standard in Iced Tea was one of my goals in life. Now I see you have one, and hope for the best. lol now i want one even more now

ReplyQuote