Gas'in' hard

13 Posts
11 Users
0 Reactions
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

For this beauty:

It's a 1954 Gibson ES-175 for only $6250 . . .

The wife has recently expressed that I shall not purchase another guitar . . . but drooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

That is one great looking guitar, but for the price, I think your wife would open up a big can of (edited for the kiddies!) on you if you brought it! :shock: :lol:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Nice!!!

I've been GAS'in over this............

:cry: :cry: :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

You guys are in leagues way over my head. When I get gas, it's usually the $300-$600 range.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

For this beauty:

It's a 1954 Gibson ES-175 for only $6250 . . .

The wife has recently expressed that I shall not purchase another guitar . . . but drooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!

Hmmm. Gotta be careful. Pretty unlikely the tuning machines are original, as nearly all of those disintegrate with UV and time. For that price, it should be all original, in great shape and only suffer lacquer checking. If you're going to buying one last guitar, why not an L5?

A year and a half ago I went crazy over a Gibson Johnny A signature on display in the Gibby Custom Shop traveling display. Fortunately, they would not sell it to me. Of course it was only about $3500.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It's listed as all original with the exception of a refret, new tailpiece and heel strap button.

The dealer showing this is known to be a very very scrupulous guy who really cares for his reputation, so I accept that evaluation.

I took the day off to go play it . . .

Oh the wife is gonna murder me . . .

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

OMG! Nice... well it's still cheaper than a yatch or even a mint condition jaguar E-type.

Tell us how it was then!

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Thankfully wives are not here on the forum.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

How's that saying go?

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission.

Something death defying or something like that.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Remember the classic story that "Rocker" tokd about 6 months ago...?

Yeah... $6000+, that is some major GAS. I stick to the $0 - 600 range, myself.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Well that is one cool axe. From what I can gather you have several justifications for buying it:
1. Rather than saving money in an acct. on which you later pay income tax on the interest,you can buy the guitar and as long as you are very careful, enjoy looking at it and playing it as it appreciates further.!!!
2. You aren't getting any younger and this is always what you wanted (g)
3. If you bought any other kind of recreational product MC,Snowmobile, Quad etc. it depreciates SO FAST.
4. You can always sell it and get your money back at least!!
5. It was made the year you were born and it would be so cool to have the exact guitar that you always wanted especially seeing how it was made the same year you were.

These are just a few I have used on my wife and seem to work occasionally. Just thought they might help you out. I am sure others have better justifications to add. It really is a great looking instrument, I say DO IT!
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, I didn't buy it.

But I came REALLY close.

It's just so nice sounding. And it felt like it belonged in my hands from the day I was born.

The guitar is in pristine condition for an instrument of that vintage.

I still might go pick it up . . . but at that price I really need to be sure it's the guitar of my dreams . . .

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

For that much money you could have a few guitars built for you custom. I've never even had that much money to spend on a guitar but if i did i'd probably be looking the same as you. Well hopefully your wife lets you get it, good luck, christmas is coming up.

ReplyQuote