Clear all

Getting a blues tone with electro acoustic

18 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok so I have an amp now (Fender Frontman 15G) and plugging my Tanglewood in I can get quite heavy distortion with the overdrive channel, but that's metal territory and I want creamy blues. Ill hopefully be getting a multi fx pedal later in the year but how do I get a nice blues tone at the moment?

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'm guessing it's a solid state amp. Tone is a personal thing my first op[inion is the chances are slimt hat you'd get anything you'd like.

I had a small Fender like that and also have a 40W Hot Rod Deluxe and never really like the tone I got from that but that may or not mean anything.

All you can do is keep fiddling and see if you can get close. Good luck.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks cnev, Ive never had an amp before, lot to learn! Its rated 15w but I darent take the volume knob past 2! Huge sound in a tiny box! But its not volume i'm after, its tone.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

And I hate to be a nay sayer but getting a good tone from an amp like that will be difficult to say the least if even possible. Maybe set to clean and with a pedal you might do a little better, but that's a low end amp and you don't get much from those but volume.

It really will show its weaknesses if you ever play with someone else with a tube amp, it'll sound like a toy no matter how it sounds when you are by yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

And I hate to be a nay sayer but getting a good tone from an amp like that will be difficult to say the least if even possible. Maybe set to clean and with a pedal you might do a little better, but that's a low end amp and you don't get much from those but volume.

It really will show its weaknesses if you ever play with someone else with a tube amp, it'll sound like a toy no matter how it sounds when you are by yourself.
Well thats cool cos I will only ever play by myself

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Minor don't ever say never I pretty much thought the same but once you get your chops up you'll want to play with others and even if you never do you'll outgrow that amp soon enough.

Just dont get frustrated if you can't get the tone you are looking for.

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

I don't have that amp, but I do have a two-channel solid state (a Vox Pathfinder). Not sure whether using an acoustic will make it more difficult (and will differ depending what the pickup is), but the starting point for me is use the overdrive channel, push the gain up and back off the guitar volume.

Below is what I tend to use, maybe taking the gain back a bit sometimes. I'm sure yours will be different, but it's somewhere to start.
neck-mid pickup, g-vol 7, g-tone 4
amp o/d channel gain 12.5 o'clock, treble 1 o'clock, bass 12 o'clock,
vol 7-8 o'clock

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I don't have that amp, but I do have a two-channel solid state (a Vox Pathfinder). Not sure whether using an acoustic will make it more difficult (and will differ depending what the pickup is), but the starting point for me is use the overdrive channel, push the gain up and back off the guitar volume.

Below is what I tend to use, maybe taking the gain back a bit sometimes. I'm sure yours will be different, but it's somewhere to start.
neck-mid pickup, g-vol 7, g-tone 4
amp o/d channel gain 12.5 o'clock, treble 1 o'clock, bass 12 o'clock,
vol 7-8 o'clock
Thanks, the guitar uses I think a piezo type system, located under the saddle. The preamp has Low High and Volume settings so Im not sure how guitar tone 4 would transfer to mine but Im guessing thats low treble. (I've never had a true electric, this is the closest Ive got to one)
The knobs on the amp are skirted with numbers 1-10, so the 12 oclock setting doesnt apply here. On a number 1-10 where would 12 o clock sit?

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

On a number 1-10 where would 12 o clock sit?
Twelve is halfway for me, actually mine goes 0-10 (or 1-11 I suppose...), but those are the only two numbers marked. Volume 7o'clock-8o'c are probably about your 2 and then 11o'c/1o'c are back and forwards a bit from 5.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Well the term "Blues tone" is a tough one to pin down. Also good, or bad tone depends on the ear thats there hearing it. That being said, do you maybe have a example of what your looking for in a song? With my electric I like to keep it under distortation, but also like a little over drive. Kinda that lively spot between clean, and distorted, where you can tip it one way or the other by touch, or a tweek on the guitars Vol knob. Granted I have have a diferent amp and guitar. A LP through a VOX ad30vt [a hybrid tube/ss/model amp] but I found picking up a blues driver pedal realy made it more easy to hit that sweet spot. I just picked up a cheap offshore built one, and it realy sounds nice to my ear. Many diferent brands of Blues drivers/tube drivers/tube screamers out there. Might help get you where you want to be. As for real blues tone... cant beat my steel body resonator!! :D

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

one can't beat a Tubescreamer set on low gain to get an excellent blues sound.
it works well with an electric guitar.
getting great blues tone from a piezo in an acoustic will be difficult.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

Well the term "Blues tone" is a tough one to pin down.
Where tough probably means impossible, but I thought I'd suggest a ballpark to start from (since MinorKey has a lot more experience than me but not used a guitar amp before). Less heavy than metal, often less than hard rock and usually not clean and that's just the distortion level. It is a really big ballpark.

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well the term "Blues tone" is a tough one to pin down.
Where tough probably means impossible, but I thought I'd suggest a ballpark to start from (since MinorKey has a lot more experience than me but not used a guitar amp before). Less heavy than metal, often less than hard rock and usually not clean and that's just the distortion level. It is a really big ballpark.
Best way I can describe it is a creamy sound. Im guessing it would use mid range set fairly high rather than scooped for metal, and treble rolled off.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

OK, so going by your clip you posted, Im thinking this is along the lines of what you are going for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_NholHANoY

Am I close??

If so I think your getting close... you need to warm it up a little I think. Might be tough with the accustic though...

Paul B

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

But its not volume i'm after, its tone.

Thank Ye Olde Godds there's still someone out there with their head screwed on right!

Right on...duder.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2