Clear all

Getting a guitar for Christmas!

32 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

As promised! Pic's and sound clips. First of all, my daughter got Guitar Hero III for Christmas, so my sound clip started out with songs I've been hearing from that, but when I hit Fog Hat, I flashed to the concert I was at this August with Fog Hat and Blue Oyster Cult, so I played a little BOC. Here is the link.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=476208&content=songinfo&songID=6105883

And some pics. My daughter yelled at me cause she didn't have makeup on or her hair fixed, but I couldn't help it. :lol:

It's a little brighter than my other Switch guitar. The other one has a rosewood board and this one is ebonite. It has sound characteristics more like a maple board. It has a 24 3/4 scale with a flat radius and 3 on a side tuners. Very Gibson in the feel. It plays flawless. Not a buzz. It shines like wet paint. It is stunning, in a plastic sort of way. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sounds great, man! Congrats!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I think I might get one of those to take to college with me this coming year. Especially if I can get one with the synthetic fretboard, then I don't have to worry about humidity etc.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

And your daughter's a cutie with or without makeup, TR! :D

For pics of my (and my daughter's) Christmas GAS, look here:
http://www.bigroadblues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6951

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

That's neat Ric! My son and I each bought Nagants at the local Army Navy store and we love them. I did the unspeakable to mine though as it's refurb had been a particularly sloppy one with caked finish slopped all over. I refinished it. It certainly looks nicer now but has less collectors value. Heck, I only paid $99 for it. It's a 1942, the plant escapes me right now but it's the one with the hammer and sickle on it. My son's I believe is a 1938 / 1948. It has the star stamped on it. From the little research I did it has the 1948 stock. I think the reciever, bolt and barrell are 1938 and the stock was replaced in 1948, hence the 2 years stamped on it. I like your daughter's shotgun. My other daughter, not the one in the pic, got a new police issue shotgun just recently too. Hers was isued to her with the car, pistol, pepper spray, body armor and taser. :lol:
Wow! From guitars to guns. :?

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Thread jacker....oh wait...

Never mind. :mrgreen:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't worry too much about the collector's value, TR. Right now it's pretty much zip. But they are super neat pieces! I leave mine as they came, but I had to glue a big splinter back in place that came off in the box. Can't see it unless you know exactly where to look and have good eyes. All of these have been refurbished sometime well after WWII, usually with mixed up parts that all got the old numbers ground off and stamped with one to match the barrel. Then they were stored away for future use in case the capitalist hordes invaded, or sometimes doled out to their clients to use in stirring up trouble for the capitalist devils. Now they've figured out they're not of much use to them per se, but they'll bring some $$ and they like that. I think there's a good supply in storage to last a while.

The hammer and sickle in a wreath is the mark of the Izhevsk armory, and the big star with the arrow inside is Tula.

Just FYI, the Russians call the rifle a vintovka sistemi Mosina, or "Mosin system rifle." They're only called "Mosin-Nagants" by Westerners. U.S. collectors call 'em Mosins. The only Nagant-designed parts in it are in the cartridge feed system, and opinions differ as to which ones exactly. The revolver is all Nagant. Funny thing, with a long cartridge case covering the bullet and a cylinder that slides forward to seal the gap at firing.

Yesterday I bought my little sweetie some buckshot shells for her "new" shotgun, the day after Christmas, while wearing a Santa hat. The salesman never cracked a smile or a joke. I couldn't have managed that.

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Very rockinroll sounding! :D I hope you enjoy it.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

crkt246 .. thanks, I am enjoying it!

Ric, here is a pic of my piece. We got some surplus ammo and that stuff really kicks. :lol: Lots of fun!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yesterday I bought my little sweetie some buckshot shells for her "new" shotgun, the day after Christmas, while wearing a Santa hat. The salesman never cracked a smile or a joke. I couldn't have managed that.

Some people just don't enjoy life now do they? I would have loved to see that. Have you ever heard Wierd Al's "The Night Santa Went Crazy"? I would have been humming it as I rang up the shells. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

He probably wouldn't've gotten that.

Maybe Run, Run, Rudolph. :lol:

Looks like you're well fixed with shootin' irons, TR! Nice looking Mosin!

I couldn't tell you what the black one on the bottom is, but it looks businesslike.

BTW, the finish on the Mosins is shellac. Dark, raw, probably "seed lac." That's the original stuff they used. When they refurbished these things, supposedly in the '70s, some of the finishers got kind of carried away slopping it on. They'd probably been partaking of the thinner.

Don't forget that all the milsurp ammo has corrosive primers. Clean it out well with something with water in it before you oil it. Can't beat plain soapy water, though there are all kinds of things that work. Ammonia's good for dissolving copper fouling. Doesn't have anything to do with "neutralizing corrosive salts" as some on the milsurp boards say, but the water in it dissolves out the corrosive potassium chloride.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info Ric! We clean my boys muzzel loader with soapy water. All I did to refinish the Nagant was to rub it with some sand paper then steel wool. The old finish just flaked right off. (You could scratch it off with your fingernail) I then applied marine poly and buffed it with fine steel wool. Three coats.

The middle rifle is a Ruger 10 22 with a replacement stock and the bottom is my favorite. It's a High Point 9mm carbine. Loads of fun to shoot. It even has a laser sight. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That High Point looks like it'd be fun.

Hey, don't you just love that "dog collar" sling on the Mosin? The Russians are real practical, "get 'er done" sorts.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yep, thought those were cool. Did you get the cleaning kit with yours? I used the guage right away to test for the proper firing pin penetration. Didn't want the thing exploding in my face. Of course, I'd already fired it. :lol: I found a lot of useful information online that I'm sure you already know. My son got one and it was just such a piece of history I had to have one.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, these things were refurbished for future use (the practical Russians don't throw good stuff away just because it's obsolete), and were all packed with the bayonet (which was intended to always be fixed, they made no provision for carrying them separately off the rifle, and I keep mine fixed as intended), a sling, the cleaning and tool kit, a solvent and oil bottle, and cartridge pouch. Some dealers have been taking the accessories out for separate sale, but most leave 'em in as a package.

Some sites you may enjoy:
http://milsurpshooter.net/
http://forums.gunboards.com/
http://russian-mosin-nagant.com/
http://7.62x54r.net/
http://surplusrifle.com/

Oh, yeah! One last bit of trivia you'll enjoy. Know what the Russian word for a bayonet is? It's a shtikom. :lol:

As for my little sweetie's gift, I like it so well I ended up (urged on by my baby girl) ordering for myself its sister that has a standard bead on the muzzle, grooved forend, and is in VG condition, not VG+ as hers. She promised to help me out with Mrs. R if she squawks. :lol:

Dunno if you saw that post I put over on Big Road Blues about "If Robert Johnson Had Been Russian..." (He would've had to sing the 7.62mm Nagant Blues instead of the .32-20 Blues.) :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3