Clear all

gibson explorer model

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ive always like explorers and have thought of buying one many times...i dont like the colors that they have out now tho...the white, red, black...i do however like that brown wood tone that is rarely seen. if u saw the U2 in new york concert where they go around on a bus all day ull see the guitarist has one. also on the gibson.com site it comes out as one of the promo pics. if u dont see it right away refresh the page a few times and itll eventually come up.

so anyone know wat color that is?

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

They now make two different ones. The original was called Korina.

Korina bodied Explorer

Trans Amber Gibson USA's X-plorer

Was this what you asked about?

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Being the crazy obessesed U2 fanatic that I am, I know exactly what guitar you're talking about. The Edge also used it on Saturday Night Live and has used it extensively on pretty much every U2 tour. It's very old, he's had it since the early days of U2 in the late 70s when they didn't even know how to play. I don't think you're going to find a guitar like that now, unless you go to the gibson custom shop. Or maybe find yourself a vintage instrument, but either way it's big bucks. I think it's just a natural color, but I dunno.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Could it be a vintage sunburst like in this Firebird?

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

i believe he means this:

looks nice, shame they don't seem to offer it anymore

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thats it, the first korina model. thx for the replies.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

I think the one on the gibson site is a different color, much darker.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Yeah I think the finish is a little too light on the korina to be the one you liked...

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

it may just be the lighting effects tho. not sure. i guess ill try to contact gibson to ask. thx for the replies

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

If the one you like is the pic that I gave the link for, that korina definitely is too light to be it. No lighting is going to make that big of a difference.

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

gibson replied quickly and told me it was an antique natural finish. i checked their finish chart and he was correct. it looks so awesome! ahh! itll have to wait till after the mesa amp tho!

ReplyQuote